⊱Chapter 6 - part one 🗡Mage Trials⊰

I finally managed to do it! Woooo!!! I finally edited the chapter I have been meaning to edit for months. For those who have read the older version of this chapter let me know your thoughts on the edited version. Of course that being said all comments are welcome.

___________________________________________________________________

#

Once again I stood by a clear glass lake as I have returned to this exact same place. Every night. Surrounding me were the gleaming emerald trees while the mountains capped in glistening snow stood proud further away. I knew this place exceptionally well. In the sky flew a bird though I knew it to be my dragon as it circled over the lake several times.

From above a loud roar resounded in the sky. The dragon dipped and flew straight as an arrow headed toward me. As expected I was stuck in place. The air vibrating as it unfurled its wings landing lightly a few feet from me. My dragon looked at me warily as it tucked in its wings while opening its maw to let out a torrent of violet purple flames. Shielding my face protectively with my arms, never feeling the heat of the fire created.

Peeking above my arms I gaze at the dragon eyeing me once more. "Avian" A whispering resounds in the air. I glanced around but no one was in this clearing except for the two of us. I couldn't control my actions as I pulled out one of my knives. Like every other night it only gave me a sad expression as it laid its head down at me feet. I raised my knife prepared to strike. "Avian" came a sad whisper. Relief sweeping through me as I hesitated. Finally I put my knife away and held out my hand instead.

Now came my favorite part of the dream. Being able to touch my dream dragon. It lifted its head, putting its nose in my hand. Walking up to the base of its neck I hugged the huge creature. I laughed in delight as my dragon made its purring noise. As expected at the sound of my laugh the dragon craned its long neck, nuzzling my back with its huge head. Taking care as to not injure me with the sharp spikes on its head. Always considerate.

I pulled back from my dragon smiling feeling complete in my dreams with my dragon companion when a sharp pain filled me causing me to gasp out loud. My dragon clearly looking panicked. As always "Find Me!" was the last thing I heard.

#

I gasp as I awaken to a dark room from the same dream I have been having for the past two months, covered in a thin veil of sweat. Laying all the way back down onto my bed from my raised position by my elbows. Letting my eyelids droop I snuggle back into my blankets in a fetal position with my arms underneath my chin, tucked between my chest and my legs. Trying as I might to fall back asleep, but it was completely useless for I'm wide awake.

With a heavy sigh I grab my Book of Dragons. With the book in my hands I settle back down onto the bed, my back propped up against the headboard. Opening the heavy volume I leaf through the delicate pages. Looking for what I have searched a hundred times before, the information about a purple colored dragon that shifts color in the light.

Though as usual nothing new appears. I have gone over all of the dragon types and their elements. I know what dragons tend to pick the noblemen more than other people and the type of dragon that tends to pick the true royal heir to the Throne of Dragons as its rider.

But I cannot find a measly scrap of information about the dragon in my dreams. Glancing out the window once more I notice that the sun is close to its highest point. I have spent more time searching the book than I had originally thought. Making me late for my training with Balthazar.

Grabbing my spell book a pain flared up unexpectedly in my abdomen. Dropping the book my hands fly to my stomach as I gasp for air through gritted teeth. These pains have been bothering me since my birthday. They have evolved from annoying to uncomfortable. Retrieving my book I make my way out of my home keeping a hand pressed tight against my abs. The path leading to the Mage's building had me passing by the woods, I couldn't my gaze from straying towards the woods where my heart longed to go.