⊱Chapter 30 🗡Destiny's Decision⊰

Here is the second part of the update of the chapter I edited. I hope you enjoy the update.

----------------------------------------

After a few more turns through the corridors I start to hear the sounds of thrashing and the clanging of metal chains. Coming upon a cell with metal bars I stare at a coal black dragon with gray streaking through its entire body. A metal collar chained around the dragon's neck with large manacles chained around its ankles, keeping it chained to the large cell with extremely thick and heavy looking links of chains.

Least to say I was completely shocked. How could someone do this to such a majestic creature? Let alone two of them? "We need to help it." My mind not really registering the fact that I had uttered those words out loud.

"No Avian! Please do not even attempt to try to do what you are thinking about. You could end up hurt if you try." Serina warned, her tone full of worry for me.

I started to enter into the cage, determined to help this poor creature when the man grabbed my arm gently jerking me to a stop. "You can't help him." The man indicated to the coal black dragon that thrashed against its bondages with the hand that wasn't holding onto me.

"We need to try." Ignoring the man's protests I close my eyes, reaching out with my mind to try and make contact with the chained dragon's mind. Though the only thing I felt was a major swirling mass of pure blackness with large amounts of red rage mixed into the mass.

Not giving up I begin to search for anything through the storm trying to find any trace of what the mind used to be. Pausing in my search I thought I felt a slight hint of clarity, as the dragon stopped thrashing in its bonds. I try to pursue the clarity, but it is quickly snuffed out, causing the raging storm to recoil and push me out unexpectedly.

I collapse from the mental attack but I do not touch the ground as the man quickly pulls me into his arms. "I tried to tell you before you tried to make contact with him. He is too far gone in insanity. He is beyond help now. All that is left now is a creature that goes purely by instinct, he cannot be reasoned with." The man explained as he gazes at the dragon with a saddened expression.

"He is right, dear one. That was a foolish thing to do. You should have listened to us in the first place." Serina interjected.

"How could someone do something this cruel?" I hate how weak I sounded. I was stronger than this, however my body didn't seem inclined to listening to me at the moment.

"Those without hearts feel no compassion. They take what they want. Regardless of the consequences." He practically growled out in anger as he continued to watch the black dragon, who resumed struggling with its bonds.

Slightly pushing against his chest, I try to walk away from him. But I couldn't, no matter how much I struggled.

A scream started to build in my throat as I watched the dragon, realizing it was about to lash out at us with its tail now that it had acknowledged our presence inside of its cell. The dragon-man must have realized it too as he picked me up. Running out of the cell carrying me inside of his arms. A burst of fire following close on our tails.

Once we were some distance away from the cell, he let me down now that we were safely away. A roar of outrage echoing through the tunnels as the dragon realized it didn't burn its prey to a crisp. "Thank you." I looked into his icy depths as I kept one hand on the wall to steady myself. He only nodded as he watched me continue to try and get my bearings.

When I more or less had stabilized I began to head for the exit with him following after me. "I must get you out of here before King Moddox comes back." The tunnel to his freedom wasn't too far away from where he had stopped. Soon enough I was showing him the exit. "This will lead you to your freedom." I pulled a torch sconce that opened the secret door. "You must follow this tunnel, you will find yourself exiting out of a hollow in a large tree within the edge of the forest." Slipping out a weapon from my slight collection I had on me I hand him the remaining twin dagger I hadn't lost.