3

Robins POV
I held the note tightly in my hand before putting it back where I'd found it. I took one last look at where it was before I walked out of my mums room, grabbing Charlie's wrist as I stormed out. "Rob? What was that?" She asked worried. I just shook my head, "it was the note found with me when I was abandoned." I breathed.

Charlie's eyes widened, "no way" she said shocked. I nodded. "Why hadn't she shown me it though, she said that she had nothing from my family. She lied. Turns out they sent the note along with me and some gifts for when I was ready" I said doing quotation marks with my fingers while i said ready.

I felt tears slip from my eyes, hurt by my mums betrayal. "Rob she probably thought you weren't ready" Charlie said not helping. "Who's side are you on Chaz? Hers or mine?" I questioned, a little anger in my voice as I spat out the words, my tongue like a snakes, sharp and deadly.

"Rob think about it if she needed to she probably would, but it clearly states 'when you're ready'. Maybe she wanted you to become an adult before you were haunted by your past" Charlie said calmly trying to corrupt my anger back into the positivity I had seconds ago.

I wanted the anger to go, because this was not me. Not this time. No this time it stayed and flared more than usual. "She lied to me Chaz. She promised everything she said was the truth!" I growled. Charlie looked at me nervously. "Rob calm down okay, I'll help you find out all this okay?" She said slowly placing her hand on my shoulder. I felt her flinch as I reacted, but she sighed with relief when I sat down and collapsed on my bedroom floor. The fire inside burned, but I wouldn't find out anything if I was shouting at everyone.

Me and Charlie walked downstairs to join the adults watching TV and didn't say a word about the note for the rest of the night. As it got late we all went to bed and when I was sure the adults were asleep I crept into Charlie's room for a secret midnight meeting. "We need a plan" I said.

Charlie nodded and I could see her brain going to work, she was always the organised one, plans were her specialty. "So we have to find the gifts sent with you, and we need to find out who 'B' is because they are clearly your parent" Charlie said as she wrote it down on paper. I nodded. "I don't get what's such a big thing to hide though" I moaned. Charlie just ignored me as she continued to write down our plan, it went like this:

1- Snoop in and around bedrooms and check for secret compartments in car, last resort check house.
2- Try to trace DNA or a fingerprint off the paper to find 'B'
3- Confront her with evidence/ Or/and If all of the above fail confront her for the truth, which she has to tell as she promised.

I smiled at the paper and quietly laughed. "We'll see you in the morning for school, work starts tomorrow afternoon Batman" I joked and Charlie laughed. "Sure thing boy wonder, night Rob" she said stifling a yawn before resting her head on her pillow again. "Night Chaz" I whispered in return only to hear her breathing steady as she sank into a deep sleep. I tiptoed back to my room being extra stealthy and got into bed. Nightwing saw me come back and decide to curl up on the pillow beside my head, he purred slightly as I stroked him, before I watched his cute blue eyes close as he fell asleep.

I was determined to find out the truth, after this was over I dreaded how the relationship between my mum and I would be. Would we forgive and forget, or would I learn the truth and turn her down for the rest of my life. Either way I still didn't want to lose her. Yeah she may not be my real mum, but technically she still saved me and gave me a life. I could at least be grateful for that. As the darkness crept over me, I felt comforted and fell asleep.

——————————————————————————————————————

The next morning was different and felt strange. I was weird getting ready with Charlie and walking to school with her, but yet it was fun. We were walking down towards the bus stop when Charlie started talking about last night. "You know maybe we could snoop in your medical records, see if there's a birth certificate and everything" she said. I laughed. "How do you think us, two high schoolers can do that" I said. "Was just saying, that's what Robin does" she replied.