36

Dick's POV
I sighed as the call disconnected, in the brief moment when Robin had looked up to end the call, I was sure she had been crying, the sparkle of tears lingering in her eyes. I wished I could be beside her, comforting her and soothing her to sleep, but she'd disallowed me the ability to do so. It pained me to know that she was lying about her escape. She was running from her guilt, she always had done. She'd always ran to me, but when my face was one that reminded her of it, how could I be the one to safe her from herself? I could only hope that she would open up to someone, hopefully Charlie. I looked down at the phone in my hand. If this was Robin's phone then surely.... I scrolled through the contact list. Aha! On the screen was Charlie's number in bold black writing, her nickname just below in the notes section of the contact. It made me feel safer, happier, and at ease knowing I could ask someone to give her love, to do what I couldn't.

I closed the phone and stuffed it back in my pocket. I slumped down in a chair across the living room, opposite to the one Bruce was sat in, reading a newspaper. "She'll be fine Dick" he spoke. I stayed silent and looked down. "She's just finding a way to cope, she'll come out of this stronger" he added. "I know, but I can't help but worry. She's always come to me, not ran away from me" I said quietly. Bruce folded up his newspaper so he was looking directly at me. "If there's one thing that I'm certain about, it's that no matter what, Robin will always find you" he said confidently. It made me happier hearing him say that. "I guess you're right" I replied, "Thanks."

I got up and began to walk out the room before Bruce spoke again. "Just promise to take care of her for me Dick. I can't lose her too" he replied. While he seemed to be trying to threaten me with his over protective, fatherly words, I knew that really, he was pleading for her safety, begging her to be alive and loved. If there was one thing he didn't want to experience, it was the loss of the daughter that reminded him of the power of love itself and the sacrifices it made him live through. "I promise Bruce. I will love Robin just like I always have, I will protect her with my life" I replied. The tightness of his shoulders relaxed and I knew he was smiling with relief, as he turned his back to me and began reading the paper again when I exited the room.

I went back upstairs to my room, closing the door behind me before dropping onto my bad lazily and staring at the ceiling. I sighed as I was lost in my thoughts and feelings. I was going to head out on patrol for the night, but was stopped by a voice at my door. I told them to come in and found my youngest brother in my door way. "Hey Little D what's up?" I asked. "It's about sister" he said, closing the door behind him. He walked over to me and sat beside me on the bed. Knowing Damian was irascible at times I welcomed him and let him speak his mind as I normally did. "What about Robin do you want to talk about?" I asked. "You and her." His laconic response wasn't very specific and it was quite ambiguous, did he mean when we were younger or now? "You'll have to be more specific than that Dami, I've known Robin for a long time, we grew up together after all" I replied.

"I want to talk about her now. She's run away from home again and I want to know why" he stated. "So do I Dami, but she ran away from me too" I said sadly. "I know you love her Grayson, but if I find out you're the-" I panicked and cut Damian off. "Don't be silly Damian, she hasn't run away because of me, in fact Bruce believes she'll come back because of me. Besides she doesn't love me like that anyway" I replied. He glared at me. "Fine, I'll figure it out myself. Oh and Grayson, stop being so stupidly blind," he said, getting up and leaving me again. I didn't know if Robin wanted people to know about us, Bruce surely knew and Damian could see Robin's feelings. I doubt the others would care, but I was too worried that she would. I missed her already and I just wanted to be with her again, I was overflowing with the hidden love I've kept buried in my heart since the day she left, and I wanted to share it all with her fragile heart, make her strong again.