38

Dick's POV
The faint rays of sunlight that crept in through my curtains woke me gently as I sat up in bed, stretching my arms wide. Robin was gone as I'd expected, it felt like we were taking part in some secret affair, but while the thought of it gave me a thrill, I knew it was nothing like that. I got up and silently returned to my own room before showering and changing into my work clothes. Working for the Blüdhaven police department was the closest I could get to being a superhero during the day, so I had accepted the job even if I had to deal with corrupt officers and scheming villains. I would sort Blüdhaven out eventually.

Heading downstairs I could smell the crumpets Alfred was making from the landing. "Good morning master Dick" Alfred greeted as I met him in the kitchen. I gave him a quick hug before allowing him to continue making his masterpieces. I always woke up early to help Alfred with breakfast because it was something I could do to repay him, plus me and Robin used to do it when we were younger, for the sake of getting the first pick in whatever he made us for breakfast. "Need any help Al?" I asked. "Ah yes could you lay the table for me, it appears I'm a little behind because I had to clean all the plates and silverware" Alfred replied. "Sure thing I'll get right on it" I said happily, glad I could be of assistance.

"Thank you master Dick. Have you heard anything from Miss Robin?" Alfred asked as we worked. "Yeah I have, she's fine, she's just got to focus on her studies at the moment" I replied. "That's good to hear, master Dick I'm always here for you and miss Robin, please remind her of that for me" he added, his caring words making him feel even more like our grandfather. "Don't worry Alfred, I'm pretty sure she already knows that" I said with a smile. He returned it and went back to working. I finished laying the table and continued with my daily morning routine.

I headed down to the bat cave where I knew Damian would be, constantly training hard as usual. "Breakfast will be ready in 5 little D" I called to him as he trained. "I will come when I have finished" he replied. I waved in acknowledgement of his answer and headed back up the stairs. "Morning Bruce" I said as we passed each other. "Morning Dick" he replied sleepily. I continued on my way upstairs before knocking on Tim's door. "Hey Timmy breakfast will be ready in 5 get a move on" I shouted through the door. I heard a groan from the 14 year old before I heard the same thud of him falling out of bed. He did this most mornings so I no longer worried about his wellbeing when he fell.

I decided to check Jason's room too, while he didn't come home last night he may have snuck in. I knocked on the door to get no reply. Just to double check I opened his bedroom door and peered inside. "Who is it?" A grumpy, tired and hungry Jason groaned. "Morning Jaybird~ Alfred made crumpets, they'll be ready in five if you decide to move" I chirped, knowing that my cheery mood was something that irritated him greatly on a morning. I quickly dodged as he threw a pillow at me and I left and closed the door in retreat. Guess no breakfast for him then. Before I could leave he called out to me again. "Hey Dick you heard anything from Robin?" He asked. "She's good don't worry, I spoke to her last night" I replied. "Did she tell you anything about why she ran away" he asked concerned. "She did, but I think you already know why" I replied. "It really was that then huh" he stated. "Yeah, sure was. I'll see you later" He grunted in reply and I left him in peace.

I headed down to get my breakfast and sat beside Alfred and Damian with Bruce sat opposite, the four of us were usually the early risers. Jason and Tim could sometimes be when they wanted to, but I doubt Tim was looking forward to school and knowing Jason he definitely wasn't a morning person. After I had finished my routine I headed for the door. "I'm going to be staying back in Blüdhaven for a bit, tell me if you hear anything from Robin. Also could you tell Tim he needs to call me later" I asked as I chucked my jacket on. "I will master Dick, have a nice day" Alfred replied holding the door open for me. I smiled as I left and got on my bike to head to work.