28

Dick's POV
I walked over to where she lay on a park bench and I cleared my throat. She looked at me and instantly went into attack mode, the emotion that was previously there frozen and buried as the warrior emerged from inside her. "Nightwing, back for round two are we" she said, probably smirking behind the mask. "Where did you put the jewels Wolf" I demanded. "Like I'd tell you, and it's the Twilight Wolf" she retorted, her voice cold enough to make me shudder. "Tell me and I won't turn you in to the cops" I replied, trying to soothe her hard shell. "Not gonna work on me birdbrain, you may sweet talk others into your deals, but you've already talked my way out of here" she spat. "I didn't wanna have to do this the hard way Wolf" I replied. She laughed at me mockingly, "Nightwing maybe you should leave the crime fighting to batman. I'm outta here, and it's the Twilight Wolf by the way" she said. Before I could grab her, she disappeared from my view in a puff of smoke.

After my encounter with the Wolf again I decided to head back to base and check in with the rest of the team. When I arrived at the cave it was empty, apart from Alfred the cat and Nightwing the kitten. The two felines were curled up together on the seat in front of the large computer screen, and were purring soundly away. I sighed upon my arrival and slumped into a chair beside the cats, pondering if I should do the same as them and sleep. My thoughts were however short lived when Alfred came down the stairs and greeted me. "Good to see you back in one piece master Dick, but I'm afraid master Bruce and master Damian may need some help" he explained, while handing me a freshly made hot cup of coffee. "No problem Al, I'll hang around a bit then. Where are the others?" I asked, curious to whether I would be stuck in the cave alone, aside from the two cats.

"I believe master Jason and master Tim are in their rooms, and so is miss Robin" Alfred replied. I nodded. Guess I'm doing it solo tonight, not like it was any different to usual. "Thanks Al, go take the rest of the night off" I said, grateful for the butlers seemingly never ending service. "I couldn't do that master Dick, god knows what assistance master Bruce and Damian will need when they come back in" he replied as he took my empty coffee mug away with him. It made me happy inside knowing  Alfred's love and devotion to us all, we couldn't have got anyone better than him. I decided to do some work to busy myself and turned around in my chair to face the computer. I nudged the cats chair aside to allow me to reach the main system and began watching different footage from around the city.

A few minutes into doing surveillance, Robin's kitten Nightwing came slowly over to me, mewling faintly as he yawned again, he was still tired from the sleep I'd rudely awoken him from when I'd moved the chair. The small feline jumped up onto my lap and began to scale my body until he found a spot on my shoulder, his messy black and grey fur, thin and fluffy. His bright, sapphire blue eyes looked to me before he curled up to the size of a slightly large tennis ball. I stroked him with my fingertips and smiled as I heard his faint snoring in my ear. "At least one of us will get some rest" I mumbled quietly to myself.

Upon not having anything to do I decided to do as much research as possible on the new villain 'The Twilight Wolf' as she called herself. I typed the name into the Bat computer and found no results. So she really was as new as she claimed to be. Because there was no known profile for the Twilight Wolf I added her to the system, describing her appearance and fighting style. Her fighting style was fairly similar to my own, it looked like she'd had extreme combat training and it's even a possibility she may have worked for the league of assassins once upon a time. I'd need to do some extra training to keep me on par with her, but it was nice to have someone that could challenge my skills seeing as all the other villains were getting repetitive and weak.

I was finishing up the profile when I heard the bat mobile returning into the cave. Guess my time here was done. Before I left I made sure to wait for Bruce and Damian to appear in case they needed any medical assistance after their fight. Luckily it was nothing too serious so Alfred said he would take care of them to let me get my rest. I thanked him before heading upstairs. As I passed Robin's room I decided to check in on her, making sure that she was okay and not struggling with anymore disturbing memories she was remembering. I opened the door slightly, trying to avoid letting in loads of light, and poked my head round the door. She was gone.