Prologue

Theme Song: Blue Foundation - Eyes on Fire

Prologue

"Elena! Let's go now!" My mom shouted from the living room. I quickly ran to the door and we walked to the car.

We were moving, again.

I've moved a total of 12 times since I was 5. The whole reason behind that was because my mom committed a murder. And you wouldn't believe who's, my own father's.

We keep moving so the cops don't catch her and have to find me a legal guardian. On top of that, she also abuses me.

Every night I have a hard time sleeping because I never know if she's going to barge through my door and hit me for a stupid reason.

She told me we're on our way to Miami, Florida and hopefully we can settle down there. My grandparents live down over there so if she does get caught, I can live with them.

"Pass me a beer, they're in the back seat." My mom tapped my shoulder and pointed at the back seats.

"I don't even think that's legal mom." I said then she grabbed my wrist, squeezing it.

"Now You little shit!" She let go and put her right hand back on the wheel. I winced in pain and unbuckled my seat belt to to the back seat. I grabbed the miller light she wanted and handed it to her, as she ripped it out of my hand and popped the top.

I looked at her in disgust watching her chugging down the drink and wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. I turned my head to the windows and pressed my forehead against it. The whole 7 hour car ride i had to hear my mom babble about her "terrible life" and how I don't appreciate her.

-

I woke up to my mom shaking me telling me to wake up. I fluttered my eyes open and rubbed them.

"There's 2 boxes in the back you can carry inside that's all." she walked into the house.

My eye widened at what I saw. The house was so nice. Usually we lived in crappy apartments or motels. One time we lived in a abandoned bar. I got out and grabbed the boxes and walked to the tall wooden doors to the house.

The whole house was furnished already with all kinds of expensive furniture. I took off my shoes, not wanting to dirty the nice carpet and began to walk to the kitchen.

I placed down the boxes on the table and opened them up. They were all of our dishes and silverware so I placed everything away in cabinets and such.

"So how do you like the place?" My mom asked me, opening up another can of beer.

"Really nice! How can you afford this place?"

"I have my ways, now go get some groceries," she tossed me the keys to a car, not even our car. "Oh and look outside. Happy late birthday." She kissed me on the cheek before heading to her room upstairs.

I slid my grey vans back on and made my way outside.

Parked in the driveway was a new white Cadillac Escalade Hybrid with a big red bow on it. I walked over to the car and saw a little card.

Happy 18th birthday baby. I love you.

-Mom xoxo

I took the bow off and out the little card in the car. I hopped in and new car scent filled my nostrils. I turned my keys and put on my music, driving to target to get some groceries.

-

"Mom I'm home!" I yelled shutting the doors and carrying all 5 bags into the kitchen and threw my keys on the counter.

"Mom!" I yelled again. No answer.

I groaned and walked up to her room and saw her past out, sleeping on her bed. It's only 5:30. I guess I'm putting the groceries away myself.

After that, I plopped down on the couch until the doorbell rang. God I can't get a break can I?

I walked to the door and saw a boy around my age with short black hair wearing camouflage pants and a red sweatshirt.

"And you are?" I placed one hand on my hip.

"Robert," he began. "Robert Villanueva."

"Well Robert I'm Elena, Elena Carter." I reached out my hand to shake his.

"So how old are you?" He asked me, scratching his head.

"18."

"Oh, I'm 17!"

"Elena!" My mom called from inside the house.

"Well, see you later Robert. My mom just called me. See you at school?"

"Yeah, at school." We both waved bye and he walked next door to his house.

My mom waked down the stairs, looking like a zombie. "Who was that? Was it a boy?"

"Yes mom it was," i sighed looking down at the ground. This isn't going to go well.

"You little slut," she walked up to me and yanked my hair.

"What did i tell you Elena! I thought you knew better!" her grip got tighter.

"Mom I -"

"No!" She cut me off. "No excuses anymore!"

"Are you sure it's not just the drugs talking!" I shouted and tried pulling her hand off my hair.

"What the hell did you just say?" She slapped my face as I flinched at her touch.

My cheek was now burning.

She started to drag me up to my room still yanking onto my hair, and threw me into my room.

"I don't want to see your face till tomorrow morning for school!" She slammed the door and I heard her foot steps get quieter and quieter.

I slammed down on my bed and screamed into my pillow. Life would be so much easier if my mom just get caught already.

//

Revised 12/20/14

Prologue. Vote and please comment your thoughts

Story song and Elena on the side (: