Remember Me | 13

"...And once you get the position, you can keep the PA or appoint a new one. I'm sure your girlfriend would be suitable?" Mr. Winter asked as we sat in his office.

"Yeah. She's a PA for some company. But she hate her boss, so..." I trailed off, thinking he's already got the point.

"Well, why doesn't she quit?"

"Because she, strangely, loves her job," I chuckled a little.

"Well that would be no problem then. Now, we're on to auditions. Come, I've got a band to test you out on."

I stood up and followed Autumn's dad out his office and into the hallway. There was a question I've been meaning to ask him, but I didn't have an opportunity to ask because he was always talking.

"Uh, sir?" I questioned.

"Hmm?"

"I was wondering, how come you didn't want to leave the label to any of your other family members?"

"It's because, Jessica, they would be greedy. They'd abuse the power and the money and make Winter Stars have a bad reputation. They wouldn't care about good music. But you, you didn't want a single dime from Autumn. You only wanted her for her, and you're an artist, so you care about music. I know you wouldn't abuse the power and authority. I just...I wish I had realized this sooner and had been happy with the engagement."

But before I could say anything else, we arrived to the room. I went and sat on the sofa while a girl stood in the booth. She looked nervous, sorta like how I was when I auditioned. I remembered that day so clearly, seeing the redheaded beauty for the first time in years.

The girl started to sing, and she had a really pretty voice. But the door opened and Detective Dave marched in with police officers. The singing and music stopped, and I hopped up from my seat.

"Detective! What are you doing here?" I asked, walking over to him.

"The hair on the bullet," he said, jumping into the explanation, "was burnt, so we couldn't tell of the DNA. But the officers found a jacket that for your description near the site, and it had hair on it. So we tested for it and found a match."

"Really?" I questioned hopefully. "Who did it match?"

Dave hesitated, shaking his head. "It was Delta's..."

The smile dropped from my face. Delta's? How could it possibly be hers? We haven't even met during Autumn and I dating. This just wasn't possible!

"There must be a mistake. I didn't even know Delta until four years after Autumn was killed," I explained.

"Well the hair matched. An exact match."

"Aw, come on, Dave! You heard my story! Delta and I didn't know each other until four years after that!"

Mr. Winter turned to me. "Are you saying your girlfriend killed my daughter?!"

Dave shrugged. "Think about it, Jessie. Delta's your girlfriend now, and wasn't then. What if she was jealous of Autumn? So jealous she committed murder to end up with you."

"But to wait four years? That seems ridiculous."

"She didn't want to be a suspect."

I opened my mouth but nothing came out. The story added up. His assumptions fit perfectly. Delta never liked talking about Autumn, and always got mad when I brung her up.

But am I really about to stand here and believe that my girlfriend killed my ex-fiancée? That's stupid and ridiculous.

"No. I won't believe it. She didn't do it!"

"Where's Delta, Jessie?"

"You'll never take her!"

With that, I ran past the officers and out the room. I hurried and called Delta's cell phone as I ran out the building.

"Hey, baby--"

"Delta, leave! Leave now!" I warned.

"What? Why should I leave?"

"Please just trust me and leave! Go to your place, Sarah's, something! Wait, just go to some place! Neither of those houses! Just hide somewhere!"

Delta paused for a moment. I could tell she was scared. "Jessie, what's happening?"

"Dave is coming to arrest you. Now go! Go! Hide somewhere he wouldn't think to find you! Please! I love you!"

"I love you too, Jessie. I'll see you later."

I jumped in my car and drove off toward my home. My head spun with everything Dave just told me. It still didn't seem right to me. Yes, Delta was upset about my love for Autumn, but that didn't necessarily mean she would've killed her, right? Besides, it might've been some other blonde person's hair...

My heart stopped for a moment when I realized who else could've had it out for Autumn. My stomach did a backflip and I felt my palms getting sweaty. Of course there was a chance that she didn't want anything to do with us after we unofficially broke up. But I'm not so sure if I should leave it.

"Jessie? Jessie?! What happened?" Sarah asked when I slammed and locked the front door. "I just saw Delta leave like something was wrong!"

"That's because I told her to. The police are after her," I quickly explained, going to get my laptop.

"But, why?"

"No time for explanations! You may have to leave too, they'll question you and stuff."

I found my laptop in my room and quickly opened it. Sarah ran into my room and sat beside me on my bed.

"Please tell me what happened! We're all in danger right now! And where is she?"

"I don't know where she is, because I told her to go somewhere and hide. And they think Delta killed Autumn that night, and waited four years before dating me."

Sarah stared at me for a moment. "That's stupid," she replied bluntly. "Yeah, Delta wasn't over the moon about you loving A, but that doesn't mean she wanted to kill her."

"My point exactly...aha!"

"What? What are you even looking for?" Sarah questioned.

"My ex's address. I was hoping she stayed at the same place, and I was right!"

It was quiet for a few minutes as I closed everything and shut my laptop. Sarah followed me downstairs, where I sat in the kitchen and tried to form a plan on how to get Sam to talk.

"Jess, you can't go back to her. A's explained a lot of things that happened, and I don't want her to do that to you again."

"We have to do something! The police could show up any minute, and I don't want to be here when they do!"

I grabbed my keys and walked out the house, Sarah running after me. We could hear the sirens down the street and quickly got in my car. They probably checked Sarah's place before mine, giving us more time.

As I drove, my phone rung. I picked it up without looking. "Hello?"

"Jess, it's me, baby. Where are you?"

"I'm driving right now. Where are you?" I asked, relieved to hear Delta's voice on the other end.

"At the abandoned warehouse on the corner of 10th Street and Fork Road."

An abandoned warehouse? I meant for her to hide somewhere like a store or a friend's house. She really did go out the box.

"Okay, I'm coming now."

"Uh, okay. Um, could you pick up some pineapples before you come here? Canned pineapples, whole ones, pineapples in a can? Anything."

I raised my eyebrow. "Okay, then. I love you."

"I love you more."

After we hung up, Sarah asked why I looked like that.

"Because she was talking about pineapples," I replied.

"Why's that?"

"Because that's our code word for danger."