Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"I've decided to drop some of the dead weight in my life.. And you're just about the deadest."

I felt confused as I turned a corner in one of the school halls, bumping into Jackson as he sauntered away from a hurt looking Lydia.

"Watch it, McCall." He snapped, shoving past me.

I stumbled on my feet, trying not to draw attention to myself as I cautiously approached a fuming Lydia Martin.

I cleared my throat, "A-are you okay?" I asked softly.

Her green eyes snapped to my face, narrowed and angry, "Excuse me?"

I bit my lip, "I asked if you were okay?"

Her eyes softened for a split second, and I swear, I could see a glimpse of humanity in her eyes. But it was all cut off when she scoffed.

"Great. First Jackson and I breaking up, and now just anyone thinks they can talk to me." She stomped past me, her heels clicking as she walked down the hall, "Fantastic."

Everyone in the halls watched Lydia and I's exchange, and I breathed in deeply as I flushed with embarrassment, hurrying down the halls to my last class

**

I breathed unevenly as I slowly jogged through a path in the woods. I pushed my earbuds further into my ears, sighing as I pushed on.

What's gonna happen at tonight's game? I wondered

I shook my head, continuing my run back to my house. As I ran, I heard a low growl from behind me. I froze, slowly tugging my earbuds from my ears, and pausing my  ipod. I searched the area around me, trying to find the source of the noise.