Chapter 30

Chapter 30

"Hey, hold on. Hold on." Derek panted, "Hold on." He took a moment to catch his breath, bending at the waist ever so slightly in order to give himself the small amount of rest he most likely yearned for.

I was now able to walk by myself, but that didn't keep Scott from sticking close to my side as the two of us marched away from the torture chamber Kate had kept us in. The two of us stopped and I nodded, leaning against a nearby tree to steady my aching limbs. I had abandoned my heels and formal dress for the clothes Scott had brought.

The leather jacket squeeled as I moved my arms to wipe my sweaty hair from my face. I was exhausted. I wanted nothing more than to go home and sleep. But I knew it wasn't over. It wasn't over until we found Peter and Kate.

"Something doesn't feel right." Derek said, his head turning to look around the dark forestry.

I panted heavily along with Derek, leaning my head back to close my eyes as I tried to stay calm. My nerves were all over the place ever since we had left the eerie room. I couldn't bring myself to feel completely safe knowing that crazy Kate and her band of hunters were somewhere out there.

"What do you mean?" Scott wondered as I looked to him, his head moving to survey the area.

"I don't know. It's kinda like it was-"

"No, don't say 'too easy'!" Scott exclaimed, widening his eyes, "People say too easy and bad things happen."

Derek have Scott an annoyed look, rolling his eyes as he shook his head at my brother.

"Do you think finding you was easy? Getting away from Allison's dad? Trying to save my sister from Kate- none of this has been easy!" Scott yelled.

Derek let or a breath as I pushed myself off the tree to stand beside Scott, "Fine." Derek said, "You're right."

Scott threw his head back, releasing his own breath, "Thank you." He muttered, exasperated.

I jumped in surprise as an arrow whooshed through the air, piercing Derek's  shoulder, sending him falling to his knees.

My eyes widened, "Derek!" I searched the forest with Scott, my eyes finding my best friend and Kate crouched in an area merely feet away from us.

I took a step forward, "Wha-Allison?" I whispered in shock.

"Now the leg." Kate said to her.

I watched in shock as Allison notched another arrow into her bow, releasing it to fly through the air and into the muscle of Derek's leg. I watched in fear as Derek fell to his back, arrows sticking from both his leg and his shoulder.

"Flash bolt."

I couldn't stop myself from staring at the two as Allison notched another arrow.

"Scott! Katherine, your eyes!" Derek yelled to us.

"Now." Kate whispered.

Scott and I watched as Allison released her last arrow, the thing soaring past us to hit the tree, only to burst into a bright flash of light and sparks. I cried out in shock as my vision was blinded. I fell to my knees in pain as I rubbed my eyes, trying to rid them of the black spots and blurred vision.