Lost.

Emily walked over to the cart, carrying three books in one hand and another two in the other.

She had been craving for a bagel all day.

She smiled at the person behind the cart and ordered a hot dog and a chocolate bagel.

Just as she ordered, her back pocket started buzzing. It was her phone.

She sighed as she transferred the books over to her left hand as she answered her phone without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello, it's Emily." She answered.

"So now you have deleted my contact from your phone?" He asked rhetorically.

Emily sighed.

"That's not the case. I didn't look at the phone before answering it."

"How convenient an excuse." He muttered.

"Dylan, I don't want to have another fight just after finishing the last one." Emily pleaded.

"We didn't finish the last fight. You hung up." His tone angry now.

Emily paid the cart guy twenty dollar bill and picked up her order, not bothering to get the change.

She carefully balanced it as she continued talking.

"I hung up because I wasn't finished with my project. I had to complete it before the deadline."

"Yes. I know but you didn't even have the courtesy to call me back." Dylan argued as Emily walked back to her dorm room, knocking as her roommate let her in.

"And I'm sorry about that honey. I really am." She whispered softly, not wanting her Roommate to hear.

But apparently, Chelsea, her Roommate got the sign as she left the room, closing the door behind her.

"Well, sorry doesn't cut it. Not this time."

Emily placed her books on the table and then bagel which had been really tempting up until now seemed to have lost all it's charm.

"Then what do you want me to do?" She asked but her own voice sounded defeated to her.

"Come to New York. Spend time with me." He said softly.

Emily rubbed he face as she knew how the conversation was going to go.

"I cannot. I don't have the time." Emily said, looking at the pile of assignments on her desk.

"Well then make time." He snapped.

Emily hated it when he snapped at her.

"I cannot make time. Why don't you come over?" She asked.

"Because firstly, I came over the last time and the time before that and secondly, I have my own column launch in this year's magazine. My first writing to be published, ever." He said bitterly.

Emily muttered a not-so-silent string of curses.

"I'm so sorry Dylan. Baby, I wish I could be there."

Dylan had told her this a month back.

How he had gotten the chance to write his own column in the magazine. Nothing big. Pretty much a puff piece but he had been really excited.

And there was going to be a launch party of the magazine as it had gone through a major editorial change.

Dylan had made Emily promise to attend this party the minute he got the news.

And she had promised.

"So you are not going to be there." He said in a cold voice.

"Baby, you have to understand. If I could, I definitely would. But if you saw me right now-"

He laughed humorlessly.

"But that's the thing, isn't it, sweetie? I never see you anymore. The last time I saw you in person was six months ago when I flew in. Because just like this time and every other time before and after, you are busy and you will always be too busy to make time for me." He said in a bitter, distant voice.

The voice that made Emily's face pale and her body freeze.

"Dyl-" She tried.

"Save it." He snapped. "It doesn't matter. I am done."

Emily couldn't believe her ears. She definitely did not think that the conversation would steer this way.

"Wh-what do you mean?" She said after a long moment, terrified of the answer.

"I mean, I am done. I am done trying to see you, trying to make time for us, trying to make us work when you clearly don't want to. So, I am letting you off the hook. I am done." He said in one breath as if it was choking him up.

Emily took three deep breaths.

"Dylan, it sounds like you are." She paused, not being able to speak the words.

"Yes. I am breaking up with you." He said, after clearing his throat.

Emily nodded, as she continued to take deep breaths. She felt her eyes getting teary.

"Dylan, listen to me, please-"

"No Emily. Whatever you have to say, it won't matter anymore. It won't because it would patch things up only until you start doing it again. And I won't be stuck in a loop. Never. So I am taking the way out."

"I am not-"

"I'm sorry Emily. But I am. I am breaking up with you. Not because I do not love you but because I cannot keep doing this anymore." He whispered too.

"I love you." She whispered, the last thing she knew that had even the slightest chance of working.

"I love you." He whispered back.

She smiled, thinking it was all going to be okay.

"But I am calling it quits. Take care of yourself Quar- Emily." He corrected himself before it was too late and then hung up.

Emily couldn't believe what just happened.

She re-dialed his number but he had turned his phone off.

Emily suspected this. He always switched his phone off after they had a fight.

But she still kept re-dialing again and again until her fingers got stiff and her tears wore her out.

She collapsed against the foot of her bed, not giving a damn about the pile of assignments in front of her.

How could she?

She had just lost the only guy she ever loved.

__________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone! I wrote this one-shot because I felt like it.

I hope you all liked it.

Also, do read my next chapter, after this one.

And do vote and comment.