• 5: Striking Blue •

Melody

My room was decorated the way I liked it. The walls were collaged with pictures from fashion magazines I had cut out. They were shots from mostly high fashion shoots with many of my favourite models. They were all beautiful photos of what I aspired to be, and I didn't plan on taking any of it down, no matter what Margot said.

The picture of my mother always sat at the corner of my desk. It was a modelling shot from when she was much younger, but it was my favourite photo of her. She was sitting on an artistically hung swing that was tied to a tree, with a smile on her face. Her dress was an off-white flowing, bohemian type dress and her beautiful brown hair was curled and blowing in the wind. My mother's eyes were a striking blue and everything about her face was stunning. When I was younger, people said I resembled her, and though I wished it were true, I didn't see it at all. I sighed and looked away from the picture.

I walked over to my closet and opened it up to find something that could make Margot happy enough not to comment on my appearance. After riffling through my clothes, I finally pulled out a striking blue dress that usually made me feel comfortable, as it brought out some of the blue flecks in my green eyes.

I first took a long and relaxing shower while listening to some soft music. Once I was dry, I put silver studs in my ears and did my makeup before slipping on my dress. I then curled my hair and pulled on a pair of silver heels.

When I checked the time, I realized it was almost noon. I quickly made my bed and straightened my room before looking in the mirror one more time. I smoothed down my hair, and my dress, checking how I looked from every angle. I sighed. Maybe Margot was right; I did need all the time in the world.

I headed down the stairs, not wanting her to yell at me for being late as well. My father passed the foot of the stairs as I approached the main floor. As he made eye contact with me he stopped, and his breath hitched audibly.

"Is everything okay Dad?" I asked, suddenly feeling self-conscious. He gave me a small smile and nodded.

"It's nothing. It just – I mean – you look just like your – sorry." He quickly walked off. I heard his office door close, and my eyebrows knitted together in confusion. Odd. My father was never at a loss for words.

I continued walking down the stairs and Margot suddenly appeared at the foot of the steps in front of me. She was in a purple dress, paired with a white cardigan. I wondered if she had been hiding behind a wall or something.

"That's what you're wearing?" She asked. I nodded smoothing down my dress uncomfortably. "Oh, Melody, you look like the help." My heart sank in my chest.

"Should I change?" I asked quietly. The doorbell rang.

"Well, it's too late now," Margot smirked, moving towards the door.

I sighed and walked over to the dining room, almost bumping into Mia. She was wearing a red, tight, long sleeved bandaged dress that had cuts in the mid area, showing off her stomach. Her body was nice, long and skinny. I was envious of her for that though I'd never admit it to anyone.

"Walk much?" Mia sneered. I glared at her but didn't respond.

Soon, three pairs of footsteps made their way towards us. I smiled politely at the women standing in front of me. They were Margot's book club friends – though I'd never seen them read a book – and would come over for lunch or cocktails from time to time.

Similarly, to Barbie coming in different hair colours and skin colours, these women were Margot in different colours. Amelia King, or Margot #2, had very pale skin, red short hair and wore a green skirt and matching jacket with a white blouse underneath. She was just as catty as Margot. Grace Evans, also known as Margot #3, had dark skin and her hair was straightened and pulled back into an up do. She wore a pink and white skirt with a long sleeved with a pink blouse. She was the slightly nicer one out of Margot's two friends.