• 38: Scavenger Hunt •

Melody

"Hi Mellie," Carson's smooth voice through the phone made me smile. It was the Thursday night before the Halloween party. After the shopping trip, the week hadn't been very eventful. I spent most of my time in Ms. Foster's room, avoiding conflict with anyone. I knew Rose was pissed that I would be showing up, which meant some of the popular group would be as well.

"Hey," I murmured. I was already in bed, though it wasn't late. There wasn't anyone to talk to, so I'd just spend time on my computer.

"Are you sleeping?" Carson asked. I laughed and cleared my throat softly.

"No, just in my room."

"Why do I get the feeling that you're always in your room?"

"Hmm... because I usually am?" I laughed, making Carson chuckle. There was then a pause.

"Well, I was calling to get you out of your room... tomorrow after school – if you like. A date with me?"

I could feel my lips curve into a smile. "I'd love that."

"Great. So, after school find your friend Emma."

My eyebrows knit together in confusion. "Emma? What –"

"It's a surprise," Carson chuckled.

"Is everything a surprise?" I laughed. He was keeping his Halloween costume a secret from me too. He knew what I was going to be, but insisted I find out on the day of the party. While I liked the idea of being surprised, I didn't like waiting to find out.

"I guess it is," Carson said, leaving me to wonder what our date could possibly be like for the rest of the night.

***

Carson and I walked into school the next day after he'd picked me up. As usual, the popular kids stood in a cluster near the front doors, gossiping like a bunch of old ladies. Rose sent death glares towards me, but I was distracted by a bright smiling face heading towards us.

"Hey Carson! And you must be Melody," he said. I smiled politely and nodded before looking towards Carson nervously, almost asking if this guy was an okay one. Carson smiled at the guy who then grinned. "I'm Harvey."

"Nice to meet you," I said, realizing that I was now finally meeting Carson's best friend. It was kind of nerve wracking, because a best friend's opinion means so much. At least I dressed nicely today... a loose, brown, long-sleeved, mini dress and a pair of brown booties. I could be confident in that... sort of.

"You too. I've heard a lot about you – as in Carson here won't shut up about you," Harvey said, making Carson shove him playfully.

"Shut up," Carson laughed, leading the two of them to banter back and forth. I looked over Harvey's shoulder and could see Rose continue to stare, to whisper, to frown. The feeling was so heavy I almost couldn't breathe.

"I have to get to my locker, but I'll see you guys."

As I walked down the hallway, I could see people watching me curiously. I thought that the 'new girl' novelty would wear off after a bit but apparently it hadn't. I stopped at my locker and opened it, exchanging the books I needed. When closing my locker, I almost jumped, realizing Rose was leaning next to me.

"Are you dressed as the Paper Bag Princess today?" Rose asked.

"What do you want?" I asked, hoping she would just leave me alone.

"You not to come to the party tomorrow," Rose said with a smile. To everyone around us, it was a friendly conversation. Between the two of us, it was a cold war.