• 74: Christmas Eve •

Melody

My eyes opened on Christmas Eve, when the faint light of the sun managed to peak through the clouds and meet me though my window. I sighed, feeling the comfort of sleep leave my body. After a couple moments of staring up at the ceiling, I dragged myself out of bed.

I walked into my bathroom and brushed my teeth then washed my face before swiping a light layer of makeup across my features. I pulled my wavy hair up into a ponytail, ignoring the hair that shed as I brushed it. I then went to my room and grabbed an over-sized, pink sweater dress out of my closet and a pair of thigh high socks and put them on. Feeling comfortable, I sat at my desk, pencil in hand and my sketchbook open, and drew until I heard the doorbell.

I moved quickly down the stairs and opened the door, smiling when I saw a breathtaking Carson standing at the door. He was wearing a thick black jacket, over a navy-blue sweater and holding a small bag with tissue paper in it.

"Hi," I whispered shyly, letting him inside.

"Merry Christmas, beautiful," Carson said. My cheeks heated and I stared down at the floor. My heart stuttered, but I didn't know how to respond, feeling like that word could never belong to me. Carson pulled me in for a hug after closing the door behind him. "I only have an hour, but I really wanted to see you," he added.

"I'm glad you came," I said quietly, as Carson took off his jacket and shoes off, before putting them away.

"So am I," he replied.

I lead him to the couch that was near the Christmas tree and as he sat down, I got his gifts from under the tree. I sat down next to him and folded my legs underneath me.

"Here, you open yours first. The suspense is killing me," I mumbled, it all coming out in a rush. Carson chuckled and opened his hands.

"Okay, which one do I open first?" he asked, his lips curved upwards in a smile. I looked between the two presents before deciding.

"The bigger one," I said. Carson began pulling the wrapping paper off the thin present, revealing the record that I bought him. His smile widened and he held it up.

"Lord Huron's Strange Trails?" Carson exclaimed. "I've heard it's an awesome album, but I hadn't gotten a chance to get it. Thank you!"

"You're welcome," I said shyly. "Okay, now the other one."

"I can't believe you got me two gifts. You didn't have to," Carson said shaking his head. He was still smiling from ear to ear, and I didn't care that I didn't have to. Seeing him smile was enough reason to do it.

"I wanted to."

He tore the wrapping paper apart and pulled out the box inside. Carson gave me a curious look before open the box. I watched as his eyes lit up when he saw the watch inside. It was all black, with a dark grey strap. The hands and dials were gold, as was the writing of the brand underneath.

"Mellie, thank you so much! This watch is so cool. I love it," Carson drew me into a hug and pressed his lips against mine. I kissed him back before he pulled away. I put the watch on him, and he turned his wrist looking at it with a smile. "Your turn."

"Ahhh..." I groaned, putting my hands on my cheeks. "Don't watch me."

Carson laughed at that and handed me the festive bag. I took the bag from him, feeling vulnerable as his eyes traced my movements. My fingers pulled the tissue paper out of the bag and it revealed a small box inside. I glanced up at Carson, before picking it up. I opened the box and saw a little silver necklace inside. The charm on the end was an orchid that was crafted with elegant details. I smiled and felt tears well up in my eyes.