• 119: IV •

Carson

When Melody asked me to go home last night, I was a little surprised and disappointed, but I understood. She seemed embarrassed about everything and I wasn't making it any better by fuming about it, even if it was on her behalf. I wasn't upset when she didn't want me to wait for her this morning either. She hasn't been sleeping well and was running behind. Or at least that's what she told me. She probably wanted more time to herself. Or maybe Margot was around, and she was trying to shield me again.

She seemed a little off at lunch and was trying desperately to hide it. While I pretended to ignore it, I noticed she was dazed and a little unsteady on her feet. But any time I checked in, she insisted she was fine.

But as she walked towards me after class, I knew it was a lie.

"Mellie?" I started cautiously as she leaned against the doorframe of the art room. She looked pale and her legs were shaking slightly. Her eyes were wide like they were trying to take in what was happening but couldn't. I recognized this look from art class many months ago. "Melody!" I called rushing to her. She let go of the doorframe and took a step towards me.

And suddenly she was falling.

Everything seemed to be in slow motion. The students in the hall turning to watch what was happening, Ms. Foster inside the classroom trying to grasp her, Melody's body slumping to the side. I tried to catch her, but she hit the floor before I could reach her. I was kneeling at her side in a flash, my heart pounding in my chest. I barely registered the voices of people around us as I leaned over Melody's face.

"Melody?" I called. "Melody!"

"Someone hand me a cellphone!" Ms. Foster's voice was at my side in an instant.

"Melody, wake up!" I repeated, fanning her pale face. I could faintly hear Ms. Foster talking on the phone to emergency operators. "Mellie, come on baby, wake up." I said quietly. "Come on Mellie.

"An ambulance is on the way," Ms. Foster said to me, resting a hand on my back gently for a moment. She then stood up and faced the students. "Everyone back up! Give us some room please."

"Mellie! Please wake up," I begged, watching her closed eyes. "Don't do this."

After what felt like an eternity, though it was likely only minutes the paramedics showed up with a stretcher. One of the vice principals, Mrs. Amaro was with them.

"Everyone out of the way! Let them do their job!" She called, parting the crowd.

"Sir, please move," one of the paramedics said to me. I shuffled out of the way and let them get Melody onto a stretcher. The other paramedic turned to me and asked what happened as they worked on her.

"I don't know... she fainted in front of me. I don't know if she hit or head or not. I didn't move her. I-I don't know why she won't wake up. She's fainted a couple times before and she's been fine..." It all tumbled out quickly. "She doesn't eat much. I don't think she's eaten today. Maybe not yesterday either," I added quickly. "I-I try but– "

"It's all going to be fine, kid don't worry," the paramedic said.

"Can I ride with her?" I asked. They had an IV in Melody's arm and had her hooked up to oxygen. She looked so fragile and small and my throat felt tight.

"No, I'm sorry. But you can meet us at the hospital," the paramedic added.

"No! Please let me go with her!" I yelled. Ms. Foster and Mrs. Amaro held me back. My heart felt like it was crushed in my chest as I tried to break away from them.