• 84: Fire in My Bones •

Melody

Carson's car pulled up to my house on Wednesday morning, and I met him outside with a chocolate muffin. I opened the car door and slid inside the vehicle and pulled out the carb-y treat. I stuck a candle into it and lit it with a lighter from my pocket.

"Happy birthday!" I grinned. "I'm not going to sing, because that would be a sad start to your birthday... and I know it's not a cupcake, but muffins are great breakfast treats so make a wish anyways."

Carson laughed and blew out the candle. "Thank you, Mellie."

"You're welcome. I have a present for you, but you'll get it after school," I said. Carson kissed me on the lips.

"You're so wonderful," he said, shifting the car into drive. He checked his rear-view mirror before pulling into the road. I blushed but didn't say anything in response to that. Instead I turned up the radio.

"So, what does the birthday boy want to listen to?" I asked.

"Hm... indie but I'm not picky," Carson mimicked. I stuck my tongue out at him and changed the channel to an indie station.

***

I didn't realize just how popular Carson was until we got to school and every person, we passed wished him a happy birthday. Even a few teachers gave him birthday greetings and it was then that I wondered if a Carson White parade would begin. It made sense though. He was the nicest person here and I felt lucky to be holding his hand as we walked around.

We switched classes for the second semester. While it meant I no longer had to endure math it unfortunately meant that I didn't have a class with Carson anymore. At least Carson and I had classes across from each other and could walk together in the mornings. It sucked, but today, it made it easier not to spill the beans about the party.

***

Harvey was a gem and took care of three things. He invited the necessary people, provided his house, and kept Carson busy after school.

"Are you sure it's okay?" Carson asked. I smiled.

"Of course! Go hang out with Harvey!" I insisted.

"Okay, I'll drop by your house later," Carson said.

"Okay," I replied as I chanted in my head, don't let him know. He was so not coming to my house; little did he know.

Harvey gave Emma his house key and address, so after school, the three of us girls went over to his house to set up the basement. We kept the decorations simple and classy, with a royal blue and white colour scheme. There were banners and bunting, along every wall and snack table. Balloons in clusters in different corners of the room, and we moved the furniture to the sides of the room to make space for people to dance.
We all headed back to Emma's house to get ready, since it was the closest and according to Alani, Emma's mom was much nicer than hers. Either way, they would both be nicer than Margot who was probably going to start her first bottle of wine for the month of February a day early.

Alani, Emma, and I let ourselves into Emma's house, and was promptly greeted by her bright and smiling mother. If it was possible, she was an even bubblier version of Emma. She offered us snacks, which Alani and Emma gladly grabbed, while I politely declined.

We hung out there for a bit but rather than sitting in the living room like last time, we went to Emma's room. As to be expected, it was painted a pale pink, with an accent wall covered in white and darker pink roses. Very Emma.

Alani and Emma sat on the bed, while I folded myself neatly into a big chair.

"So, Emma, spill the tea. What's going on with you and Harvey?" Alani asked.