• 24: Word on the Street •

Melody

When I got to art class, Ms. Foster pulled me aside. "Oh, Melody! I was so worried about you over the weekend. And when you didn't come in at lunch, I thought maybe you weren't okay. But you seem great, smiling almost."

"Yeah, I'm great," I agreed. It was a smile she saw. I was smiling because Carson White likes me.

"Did you eat lunch today?" She asked. I nodded. Carson made me fill up on vegetables and fruit before our break was over, and then told me he'd meet me at my locker after school. "Good."

I went and sat down at my seat, just as Emma began walking over. She grinned as she saw me and hung her bag on her chair. "I'm glad to see you're okay!" She exclaimed.

"Thanks," I replied. It was weird having people fuss over me. No one did at my old school, and only occasionally did Leslie do it at home.

"So... word on the street is, you and Carson came to school together," Emma grinned. I looked around us, and no one heard what she said as people were still walking into the room and talking with their friends. I breathed a sigh of relief and leaned close to her.

"It's true. He surprised me this morning at my house," I said with a small smile. Emma's grin widened and she bounced excitedly.

"That's so cute! I'm so happy for you!" She said. I've never really had someone be happy on behalf. It was kind of nice. Maybe Emma might actually turn out to be a good friend.

***

The rest of the week began similarly to Monday, as Carson once again surprised me in the morning on the way to school. I could get used to seeing his handsome, smiling face bright and early in the morning before facing the dreaded school day. Especially considering how tired I was from spending my night up to my ears in math. It was like taking a long bubble bath after running for an hour. Carson made me smile and relax.

I didn't eat lunch with him on the Tuesday, as I had to finish my project before class. Unfortunately, my art project was due, and I hadn't been working on it much outside of class. It was almost done, but I couldn't work on it at home or Margot would yell until her face was blue. I also had math homework – plus what I didn't do on the weekend. The rest of the week I decided to stay in the art room. Though I loved talking to him as we'd been texting back and forth, and driving together, I was scared Carson would get tired of me if I spent too much time with him that week.

It wasn't until that Tuesday night, when Carson sent me a text, asking if I wanted to eat lunch together again the next day, that I decided it could be okay.

When Carson and I walked into the school that Wednesday morning, we passed Rose and her friends. If looks were daggers, I'd be Julius Caesar because Rose and her friends were pissed. I don't know if I made it worse by ignoring her or by talking to Carson animatedly, but I did know that I'd be planning my early funeral – especially because I was eating lunch with Carson later today.

***

When lunch finally came around, I sat down, crossed my legs and waited for Carson to meet me by our tree. I checked my phone wondering if he still liked me enough to come. However, when I glanced down at it, it was buzzing and instead of Carson's name popping up it was Gavin. Quickly, I answered and put the phone to my ear.

"Melody! Go-see tomorrow in New York City; can you make it?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm free. What should I wear?" I responded.

"Jeans and a white tee, and very light makeup. They want a blank canvas," Gavin told me. "I'll pick you up at ten a.m. sharp. It's an hour drive from Greenwich and though the casting is at noon, I want to account for traffic."

"Sounds good! I'll see you then," I said, hanging up.

"See who when?" Carson's voice made me jump. He always seemed to always sneak up behind me.

"No one!" It was an automatic response. "I mean... I have an appointment," I amended. It was mostly the truth. I hated lying to him, but I didn't want him to know the truth; I didn't want anyone to.

Carson sent me a curious look but sat down across from me. "Sorry I took so long; I was talking to Harvey."

"That's okay," I told him with a smile.

"I brought veggies again if you'd like some," Carson offered with a smile as he began unpacking his lunch. His smile automatically brought one to my face as well, but mine fell thinking about my go-see tomorrow. I had to look perfect if I wanted the job.

"I-I can't today," I mumbled, wringing my hands together.

"I think you should... even a little bit," Carson pleaded.

I bit my lip and looked into his light brown eyes. A sigh escaped my lips as I reached for a slice of cucumber. A grin spread across Carson's face, which caused butterflies in my stomach. Giving in was too easy with him. I just knew I'd have to run tonight.

***

I waited for Carson at my locker after school, after switching the books I needed. As I stood there, I noticed Emma, Alani, Cora and Noah were in the hallway. Alani and Emma saw me and waved before making their way over. Cora seemed a little annoyed that she had to walk all the way over here, but Noah seemed in different. Maybe he was starting to like me a little bit.

"The four of us are hanging out on Saturday evening," Alani began.

"Do you want to come?" Emma jumped in excitedly.

I looked between the two of their smiling faces, and then glanced at Cora and Noah. Cora glanced around the hallway, looking as if she wanted to be anywhere but here.

"We're going bowling; it seems lame, but it might be fun," Noah added with a friendly smile. I smiled back and nodded.

"Sure, okay. I'll come," I said shyly.

"Yay!" Emma cheered. I exchanged numbers with Emma and Alani so we could plan it out before they continued down the hallway. I turned and saw Carson making his way over to me with a charming smile on his face.

He stood in front of me and said, "Ready to go?"

I slung my backpack over my shoulder and nodded.

"Ready," I replied with a smile.

Today was filled with surprises and for once, most of them were good.

_________

Author's Note: It's a bit of a short one, but hopefully the next chapter is coming soon! I know you are all patiently waiting for the date! I am too haha! But it is coming don't you worry! I also want to say really quickly that I am starting school again, so hopefully it doesn't get too busy that I'm not able to write as often but be patient with me! (I am taking a creative writing course, so maybe some of that stuff might just end up on Wattpad!)

But let me know what you think of this chapter! What do you think Rose has planned? Isn't Carson the sweetest? Tell me in the comments! And vote if you loved this chapter! <3