• 66: Gut Feeling •

Melody

Time seemed to stop on the dance floor from the moment Carson first put his hand on my waist. I felt like I could float up out of the wretched ballroom and away from my family. The way Carson looked into my eyes as we danced felt like we were in a Disney cliché where the prince comes to take the loser girl and makes her into a princess.

When we stopped dancing, I noticed the room watching us, clapping, smiling at us. Surprised, I turned to Carson.

"They were all watching us?" I whispered.

"They were all watching you," he replied. "You look beautiful."

My cheeks grew hot as a smile rose to my cheeks and we nodded politely before exiting the dance floor. The dance floor filled with people as we left who smiled at us or gave us compliments.

As we walked towards my family, I noticed a small smile on my dad's lips that made my heart feel a little lighter in my chest. Mia looked only a little entertained, but Margot looked irritated. She hid it fairly well, but the tight-lipped smile and narrowed eyes said it all.

"Stand up straight and suck in your gut for once," Margot whispered as I walked by her. I fought to keep a smile on my lips but did as I was told.

A lady then walked up to Carson and I with a soft look on her face.

"I just wanted to say that you two danced beautifully. You're a lovely couple," she said clasping her hands together. "And your dress is stunning dear," she added.

"Thank you," Carson and I said in unison.

***

The rest of the banquet went by uneventfully. There was a draw for prizes, and more dancing as the crowd dwindled down and all the guests went home. I didn't say much in the limo, rather I held Carson's hand and stared out the tinted window.

When we got back to the house, Margot, Mia, and my dad went inside, while Carson and I lingered in the cold.

"I'll see you at school tomorrow?" Carson asked softly. I nodded. "You're okay right?"

"Of course," I replied. "Thanks for coming."

Though Carson made the evening much more bearable, I still hated most of the night. I hated how Amelia was so self-centred and callous – as if I didn't hear the comment, she made about me. I hated how Margot treated me and made me feel so unimportant. And I hated how full my stomach felt.

Carson gave me a tight hug and kissed my forehead.

"I know that tonight was rough, and that Margot is horrible towards you... but please don't let it get to you," he whispered.

"Okay," I replied, before pressing my lips to his softly.

"Good night Mellie," Carson said, kissing me once more.

"Good night Carson," I replied.

I went inside and straight to my room, closing the door behind me. I slipped out of the dress and looked in the mirror after hanging it up. I felt like a whale.

Suck in your gut.

Well, it wouldn't be out if I wasn't forced to cram four courses into it. I felt disgusting. This happed yearly, so I wasn't surprised. I just hated this feeling.

I glared into the mirror before marching into the bathroom. I turned on the shower and sink on then paced along the tiles. My mind was fighting between what I was tempted to do and what I should do.

I didn't want to let it get to me. In a perfect world, I'd listen to Carson, and go to bed right away. But it wasn't a perfect world and it was getting to me.

I knelt down in front of the toilet and purged the contents of the Christmas banquet into the bowl. When I was done, I stood up, brushed tears off my cheeks and washed my face hoping that it would erase the day along with my makeup.

______________

Author's Note: It's a short little chapter today, but I had to finish up the banquet! Let me know what you think by commenting and don't forget to vote! Shoutout to AndrewHass and ameriep for voting! :) Thank you all for reading! <3