• 23: Wait Whaaaaaat? •

Melody

When lunchtime finally rolled around, my heart was in my stomach. Today was the first day I was willingly spending my break outside of the art room. And after a showdown with Alcott High's Regina George, it was pretty crazy to think I was spending it with Carson.

Maybe I did lack self-preservation...

Shrugging off the thought, I marched through the backdoors of the school, and headed for the trees behind the bleachers. Upon reaching the trees, I could see Carson wasn't there yet, which left me to choose a spot. After glancing around, I settled on where he found me crying last time – a nice shaded spot, hidden away from the school. I sat down and crossed my legs then looked around.

Did he mean these trees? Am I in the right place? What if he didn't mean here and he's sitting by himself somewhere else wondering if I'm going to come?

I look around again before another thought – a worse one – creeps into my mind.

What if he was joking this whole time? What if he really doesn't like me, or doesn't even want me to be his friend, and is laughing at me right now? What if –

"Mellie!"

Cue my surprised scream. It wasn't loud, but I think if Carson was sleepy, he couldn't be now. "Sorry I startled you," he laughed, sitting down in front of me. My face heated up and I made a face at him, which only made him laugh harder.

"Well, glad to know my shriek of terror didn't deafen you," I retorted narrowing my eyes. Carson grinned, and his laughter continued.

"You're so cute," he said poking my nose. If my face was red before, it had to be scarlet by now. Carson just called me cute! I didn't think I was cute, but I'm glad he did.

Wait... did he mean little sibling cute or girlfriend material cute?

I blinked away the thought.

"Thank you, you are too," I said. "Wait... I mean not like cute! Handsome like – wait I mean –"

Oh God.

"Ooh, Melody thinks I'm handsome!" Carson teased, holding a hand over his heart.

"I didn't say that, I was looking for a manly alternative to 'cute'!" I objected. Carson grinned at me making me pout slightly.

"Melody thinks I'm handsome! Melody thinks I'm handsome! Melody thinks –" Carson sang until I leaned forward and placed my hand over his mouth. His lips were soft under my palm and it made me wonder what they'd feel like on my lips. I quickly pulled my hands away, as if Carson could hear the thought through my fingers. Carson gave me a wide-eyed look and I stared down at my lap, unsure. It felt like there was an electric current running between us... unless it was my imagination. I really hoped it wasn't and that Carson felt it too.

"Um, you have gym class next, right?" I asked. It was a very lame way to switch the topic, and I'm sure Carson noticed, but he didn't say anything to indicate it.

"Yeah, I do. Which reminds me, I should eat now so I don't feel sick in class," Carson said. I pulled my knees up to my chest and watched as he took a little lunch bag out of his backpack. It brought a smile to my face knowing that he had one. "What?"

"Nothing," I murmured, resting my chin on my knees. I watched Carson as he unzipped the bag without meeting my eyes.

"So, I brought two sandwiches and some veggies and fruit... in case you didn't bring anything or like your lunch or something like that," Carson told me while staring down at the food he was pulling out. He seemed almost nervous as he spoke without looking at me.