• 68: Scarlett Noir •

Melody

Downstairs, the table had a Caesar salad, mashed potatoes, steak, and macaroni. Everything that would make a normal person's eyes light up and their bellies growl, but my eyes seemed to fall to stare at the patterns on the plates and my stomach simply flipped nervously.

I sat down next to Chloe, and Carson sat down next to me. Carl, Harper, and Connor joined us at the table.

"Dig in everyone!" Harper said and I watched as Carson's dad reached for the potatoes. Chloe went for the macaroni and cheese, Connor and Carson for the steak, and Harper for the salad. I poured some water into my glass, wondering how I was going to handle this dinner.

"So, today, this kid almost set the science class on fire," Connor said.

"Really? How'd he pull that off?" Carl asked, curiously.

"Well..." Connor started, launching into his story.

The bowl of mac and cheese was passed to me, but I passed it to Carson without hesitation. Pasta was definitely a no-no tonight. Harper gave the salad to me, and I filled most of my plate with it. Chloe gave me a curious look, to which my cheeks heated.

"That's crazy!" Carson laughed at his brother's story.

"I have a shoot on Thursday," I mumbled, hoping that was sufficient explanation.

"A shoot? For what?" Harper asked.

"A fashion company called Scarlett Noir. It's a small company but their designs are amazing," I explained, putting a small piece of steak on my plate.

"Are they putting it in a magazine or something?" Chloe asked, scooping up some mashed potatoes.

"Yes, and online."

"Carson, you never said your girlfriend was a model!" Harper said accusingly.

"I would have done my hair or something," Chloe teased.

"Atta boy," Carl told his son, making Harper roll her eyes.

Just like that, no one paid attention to my eating habits, as the conversation moved on to a woman from Harper's work.

***

The rest of the night flew by quickly, dinner was as successful as it could be considering I didn't eat much. We then sat around and talked for a bit, Harper brought out some tea and biscuits, which I passed on. Still, I felt full and couldn't wait to jog it off.

As I got home, I noticed my father walking to the front door as well. He turned around hearing my footsteps behind him. His eyes flickered from me to Carson's car before he waved at him. Carson flickered his headlights in response, before driving away.

"Good evening Melody," my dad said, the ghost of a smile on his lips. "Did you have a good time?"

"Yes, Carson's family is really kind," I replied as he opened the front door. I stepped inside the house and took off my shoes.

"I'm glad," he said shutting the door. "He is welcome here anytime... as are any of your friends."

"Thanks," I answered, a small smile playing on my lips. An expression I couldn't read crossed over my father's face and he swallowed hard and broke eye contact with me. He glanced towards his office.

"I-I've got work to do..." my dad said turning around. "Oh! Margot and I will be away this weekend but will be back before Christmas."

"Okay, good night," I mumbled, watching him walk away from me. It barely hurt when he did it anymore. It simply confused me... but I was used to it. He was trying his best I guessed.