• 95: Family Dinner •

Melody

About five minutes after Carson left the school parking lot, my phone went off in my backpack. I reached to pick it up and sighed when I noticed the caller I.D. I put the phone to my ear.

"Melody. You better be coming home immediately." Margot's shrill voice rang through the phone loudly. "We are having a family dinner as your father leaves on business tomorrow."

"Okay," I said quietly.

"Make sure you dress nicely," she said.

"Okay," I repeated. She hung up and I sighed once again, leaning my head against the car seat.

"Do you want me to come?" Carson asked. I smiled at him but shook my head.

"I love you too much to subject you to all the Reese-Allen family fun," I replied. Carson laughed at that as he turned a corner. The sound made me smile despite the dread washing over me of the dinner I was going to have to endure.

***

I took a quick shower and then pulled on a white, long-sleeved dress that had a big cut out at the back. It stopped mid-thigh and was lacy. I left my dark hair down in waves and put a little makeup on to brighten my features. I slipped on little white pumps and made my way downstairs as the dinner bell rang.

I was the first at the table and saw that the food was already laid out for us to serve ourselves. I settled into my usual spot and stared at the dishes in front of me. Meatballs, pasta, and steamed vegetables. I sighed and tried to hide my disappointment as Mia came into the room. She was wearing a pink long-sleeved dress that was close fitting. Mia sat at her spot, barely looking up at me, as her eyes were glued to her phone. Margot then came out of the kitchen with a glass of wine in hand. She put it down at her place setting and sat down. Her eyes skimmed over my outfit and her nose wrinkled but she didn't say anything.

"Start eating. Robert will come as soon as he is off the phone," she said, picking up a serving tong. She picked out some pasta and put in on her plate before passing the tongs to Mia. I scooped out some vegetables and put them on my plate, then grabbed some meatballs when the spoon was free.

"What you're too good for pasta?" Mia asked, twirling hers around on her fork.

"I just don't want any," I mumbled.

"Don't waste food Melody. That's your father's hard-earned money. Take some," Margot said, eyes narrowed as she stared at me. I sighed and took the tongs, putting some on my plate as well. Margot gave me a thin, fake smile and started eating. I glared at the plate in front of me and stabbed a carrot with my fork, the orange vegetable bland in my mouth. I chewed slowly anyways, swallowing when my father walked up to the table.

"Hi," he said quietly. He kissed Margot on the cheek and pulled back the chair. As he was about to sit, my father took a look at me and froze. He seemed to just stare at me, and then passed me as if he wasn't really seeing me. I looked down feeling uncomfortable under his gaze. When I looked up at him again, his eyes met mine and he stumbled backwards slightly.

"Dad?" I whispered, as my eyebrows knitted together.

"You just look so much like–" my father swallowed hard. "I just remembered I have another phone call to make about tomorrow's trip." He tucked in the chair and disappeared. The three of us sat there silently for a moment, before Margot scowled at me.

"You ruin everything," she said through her teeth. I didn't understand what I had done to make Margot hate me, and to make my father avoid me. He looked through me and it burned like acid. Maybe whatever he saw seemed to piss off Margot and she took it out on me.