• 93: Talk of the Town •

Melody

The ride to school was silent, unasked questions and unspoken words filled the car like thick smog. Carson's frustration was written across his face like letters in the sky though I knew concern fuelled the plane that wrote it. He wanted to know why I was sick, and I couldn't give him an answer that wouldn't send him running for the hills. Maybe it was selfish, maybe it wasn't, but I was too scared of his reaction to tell him the truth.

He had stood outside of the bathroom, knocking rapidly against the wooden door.

"Mellie? Are you okay?" I could hear him calling over and over again. I flushed the toilet and stood up.

"I'm fine!" I yelled back. I wobbled as I exited the stall but washed my hands and then washed out my mouth. I stared into the mirror and frowned when my reflection met my eyes.

Pathetic.

Maybe it was a good thing the diet pills made me feel sick.

"Melody?" More knocking.

I sighed and decided to face him. I opened the door and his worried, honey-brown eyes were the first to greet me. My eyes travelled downward, avoiding his intense gaze.

"Did you get sick?" Carson asked me.

"It's fine, don't worry about it," I mumbled.

"Of course, I'm going to worry about it, Melody," Carson said, quite displeased at the fact that I'd brushed him off. I could feel my hands shaking with anxiety, and I shifted on the spot. "What happened? Did you throw up?"

"I–" I took a deep breath, stopping whatever was about to tumble out of my mouth. "Can we just go to school?"

"Why don't you just talk to me?" Carson asked. His voice was low and steady, but uneasiness radiated off of him in waves.

"I hate lying and the more questions you ask me, the more I want to do it," I replied, in whisper. The look that crossed Carson's face was unexplainable, an emotion I couldn't place.

"Okay. Let's go," he said after a moment. Then we sat silently in the car, while my body shook with fear that I was pushing him away.

We arrived at Alcott just after first period, when the halls were bustling with students switching classes. The moment we stepped foot into the school, everything felt surreal. Some of the popular group were actually smiling in my direction. I smiled back cautiously and looked to Carson who had the same confused smile on his face.

We stopped at my locker and I switched my books for ones I would need.

"What is going on?" I asked.

"I have no idea," he said.

Harvey then walked over and leaned against the locker next to mine, a grin on his face as he folded his arms across his chest.

"Melody, Melody, Melody," Harvey started.

"Harvey, Harvey, Harvey..." I replied. "What is going on?"

"As usual, you're the talk of the town. The chat of the children. The subject of the school."

"Harvey, I'm going to hit you if you don't get on with it," Carson smirked. Harvey stuck his tongue out at him and ran a hand through his hair.

"Everyone saw that magazine thing you did, and they think you're cool. It's really not a big deal. I mean, all the guys thought you were hot before, now it's confirmed. The girls on the other hand, mixed moods. Some think you're the coolest, and while the rest probably do, I think they're a little jealous. Like, 'oh my gosh her outfit is so cute I could just punch her in the throat,' kind of vibes." Harvey put on a valley girl accent as he imitated his peers, making Carson and I laugh.