• 54: Sunflowers •

Melody

I walked down the stairs with Mia and Alyssa following me towards the door like lost puppies. The adults were now in the den, most likely grazing on appetizers and sipping expensive wine, their voices echoing down the hallway. I stopped in the foyer and turned around.

"Stay," I said slowly, as if that was the only way they'd comprehend the simple command.

"Fine, but we're looking through the window," Alyssa said.

"OMG, Lyss you're just supposed to do it. Not tell her," Mia replied.

"Right, okay."

Looking between the two, I rolled my eyes and left them to spy on me as I slipped through the front door. When the cold air hit my bare arms, I felt goose bumps rise to the surface of my skin, but I continued towards Carson. He was now leaning on the side of his car, a smile now on his lips as I came closer.

He was wearing dark blue jeans and a dark, olive green sweater, with a jacket thrown over it. He extended his arms and I fell right into them, letting his heat warm my body. He kissed the top of my head as I squeezed him tightly, making me forget my family for a couple of moments.

"Someone's happy to see me," Carson teased.

"You have no idea," I replied quietly. He peeled me off of him and held me back slightly, inspecting my face.

"Are you okay?" he asked. I nodded and smiled.

"I'm just glad you're here... how long do you have?" I asked.

"A couple minutes, I just wanted to give you something." Carson flashed me a handsome smile that could have made my heart stop. For a morbid second, I wondered if that would annoy Margot because I'd have caused a scene. "Close your eyes."

I did. I heard the car door open and close and then Carson placed something in my hand, making my eyes fly open immediately. I looked down to see a bouquet of sunflowers in my palm, my fingers now curling around the beautiful yellow flowers.

"What? You didn't have t– I mean, wow! You're too good to me," I mumbled, a goofy smile on my lips.

"You deserve it," Carson said. I didn't respond, not feeling like it was entirely true. Instead, I pressed my lips to his softly. Rather than letting me go, Carson deepened the kiss, wrapping his arms around my waist to pull me flush against him. My lips curved into a smile against his and I continued to kiss him before remembering a certain spying stepsister.

I pulled back. "Oh gosh. Mia and her cousin are totally watching us through the window right now," I laughed, pressing my palm to my face. Carson chuckled and kissed my forehead.

"Dinner and a show," Carson mused, making me whack is arm. He laughed and hugged me once again before pressing his lips to mine. "Go before Margot bites your pretty little head off."

I smiled at him and looked down at my sunflowers. "Thank you," I breathed.

"Go," he grinned.

I turned around and walked quickly back inside, careful not to trip on the steps. With one last look out at Carson, I slipped into the house. There, Mia and Alyssa stood wide-eyed and open-mouthed.

"Did that actually just happen?" Alyssa asked.

"Carson White actually left his house on Thanksgiving to give you flowers?" Mia asked.

"Yes, is that so hard to believe?" I asked, rolling my eyes. I pushed past the two and headed towards the kitchen to get a vase. Their footsteps followed behind me along with their irritating questions.