• 75: Missing •

Melody

The next couple days seemed to drag on. It was as if someone decided to stretch it out into a month, when it was just four days. Christmas was the most festive that it ever got around the house and I wished it would end the moment my eyes opened to the sound of Mia's pounding on my door.

In a baggy blue sweater, I went down the stairs for us to exchange gifts, everyone pulling theirs apart at the same time. My dad kept getting up to take calls every so often, which Margot didn't seem to mind once she got her big fancy necklace and earrings. Mia got tons of makeup and clothing, as did I, but I noticed that Margot slipped more things in for her daughter. I was both used to it, and didn't really care, as I didn't want anything to begin with.

After that, we had a light breakfast, before everyone had to make sure the place was spotless. The caterers arrived soon after and began setting up while everyone got ready for Margot's family to come over once again. Mia came down the stairs in a red dress that showed way more cleavage than I thought necessary for a family dinner. It was tight fitting, and wrapped up around her neck, but there was a large cut out in the chest area. I wore a loose green dress that had a v-shaped neckline, and big sleeves. It had a ribbon to tie around the waist before flaring out a little. Margot simply gave me a once over before turning her nose up and walking away with a frown.

The doorbell rang, and Margot's brother, Stephen, and his wife Rita appeared first. Their son, William, actually made an appearance for a change too. Then Adalyn and showed up with a new guy as her date, who she introduced as Wesley. I felt sorry for that poor soul, because he was called West, Wyatt, Wayne, and even Willy, which got confusing with William. Adalyn's daughter spent Christmas with her dad, so she wasn't there to distract Mia from her scrutinizing looks.

After a three-course meal, filled with humble-bragging and backhanded compliments, Margot and her family sat around talking while my dad disappeared into his office. I hung around in the background for a while before going to my room to wait for everyone to leave. Once they did, I was able to exercise until I couldn't see straight, since I couldn't avoid eating during the meal.

On Boxing Day, Mia and Margot went on a shopping spree, while I didn't feel the desire to pushed and jostled by the hundreds of people that would be at the mall. I spent my day locked in my room drawing in my sketchbook. In the early afternoon, I went downstairs and peaked into my dad's office, curious to see what he was doing. His head was down as he paced back and forth with the phone to his ear. I sighed and went back to my room, where I spent the rest of my day.

Carson texted me throughout the days he was away, and while it was better than nothing, I still wished I could see him in person. But, between drawing, homework, and watching shows that had to do with fashion, I kept myself fairly busy for the next few days.

Gavin managed to drag me out of the house one afternoon and brought a gorgeous ball gown to take pictures in. The dress was royal blue and had a plunging neckline. It sucked in at the waist and flair out beautifully. Gavin explained that I needed more pictures to post on Instagram and as it would help with my modelling. We went to a nearby forest – the one Serena and Summer pulled me into earlier on this year. However, it was more welcoming and much prettier when not being attacked by two blondes who barely knew a window from a hole in the wall.

The snow was untouched and buried the ground that the tree roots hid beneath. Above me white flakes clung to pines and the bare branches of maples, oaks, and birches. It looked like Narnia. And in my deep blue dress, I was the queen. I stood in the snow and posed, leaning against trees, standing straight, raising my arms, working every angle of my body until my I couldn't feel my body.