• 61: Scandal •

Melody

Thursday passed uneventfully, with me laying low during lunch. Though I did have my group of friends back. I just didn't think it was the wisest thing to test the waters in the cafeteria so soon after a threat from Rose. On Friday, I skipped school for an early go-see. The art director, booking editor and a stylist were. I was directed to slip into a garment in a change room and come back out. In the tiny room, there was a dramatic dress and a pair of heels waiting for me to put them on. My fingers picked up the black material and I found my way into it, before slipping on silver heels. I smiled as my eyes traced the dress' angular hip and deep, geometric take on the sweetheart neckline.

I walked out of the change room and the casting began, as I began to do my runway walk and hoped that I was what these people were looking for.

***

I came right home just in time for a family dinner. Not having the time to change, I settled for my casual dark blue, skinny jeans and a tight, grey, long sleeve, hoping that my slightly curled hair would suffice for the less than stellar event. I slid into my usual spot and kept my head down, as Margot continued talking to Mia and my father about the annual book club Christmas party she was having.

"We're keeping it at that gorgeous banquet hall uptown, because it holds the taller Christmas tree by the windows. However, I haven't quite figured out what the colour scheme should be yet..." Margot mused. She looked at me as Leslie put a serving of food down in front of me. "Melody, maybe you can bring that boy you had over that day."

"What boy?" My father asked as my head snapped up to meet Margot's eyes. Her face was composed and friendly, but dark humour replaced her irises and danced around her pupils.

"Um... from school. Part of the group of friends I mentioned on Thanksgiving," I mumbled. Mia snorted at my vague sentence but shrugged when my father looked at her.

"Alright... well, yes. Invite him to the Christmas party then. Margot will add him to the seating chart," my dad said, there was a slight smile on his face, but he tried to compose it. I nodded and gave him a small smile.

"Okay, darling," Margot cooed, making me finally look down at my plate, just to avoid watching her thin fingers wrap around my father's hand. Grilled chicken, mashed potatoes and Caesar salad. I stabbed the leafy green with my fork. I still hated seeing her touch him. He didn't belong to her. He was my dad, and my mother's husband. I pushed the fork into my mouth, biting the lettuce slowly.

"So, I totally got a B+ on my project for one of my classes..." Mia said after clearing her throat and flipping her hair dramatically. Her blonde locks almost hit me in the face.

"Wow, amazing!" Margot grinned.

"Awesome job," my dad added. I stared down at my meal, my ears burning with the sounds of praise for someone else.

"Yeah, it was about like, disadvantaged people or whatever, so I like, had this idea to give clothes to poor people. My prof said the idea was already done – like 'good will bins' or something... but I still did the work anyways. Plus, I was thinking like designer clothes so that poor people can look pretty too, right?" Mia said. I raised an eyebrow but said nothing as I ate another piece of lettuce.

"That's so smart Mia, I'm proud of you," Margot said. Mia grinned, before taking a bite of her chicken.

"So, um..." I started, looking at my dad. "I had my go-see tod–" Before I finished my sentence the ringing of my father's office phone went off. He gave us all an apologetic smile before getting up.

Once he left the dining room, Margot's eyes hardened. "Next time, change before dinner."

***