• 114: Hiding Spot •

Melody

"Wha-what's he doing here?"

It came out sounding hoarse and quiet. It didn't even sound like me. It sounded foreign. Far away. Frightened.

"Son of a–" Carson growled, taking his hand out of mine and took a stride towards Diesel. I reached out to stop him, but it was moments late as he was already storming over to the group of jocks. He threw Diesel against the lockers, creating a large bang. "Why the hell are you here?"

I glanced around frantically, wondering how to stop this from happening. No one seemed to move, except for the football players, who were ready to jump in on his behalf. Diesel waved them off, despite the fact that Carson had him pinned up against the lockers. All eyes were on them and on me. Waiting for the next move.

"No evidence, no foul," Diesel replied smugly.

"I swear to God–" Carson sneered.

"Besides, not like I got much action," Diesel winked. My blood ran cold and my eyes burned with tears I refused to let fall. Carson pulled back his arm ready to punch him, but suddenly Harvey was there with some guys from the basketball team. They pulled Carson off Diesel before his fist could make a connection to skin.

"Next time, I'll let him give you an eye to match your jaw," Harvey said as his teammates pulled Carson away.

The first bell rang, and the crowd began to disperse. I felt frozen to my spot, eyes locked with Diesel, until his friends ushered him away. As I watched them walk down the hall, I noticed Emma and Alani walking towards me.

"You okay?" Alani asked standing in front of me. I pressed my lips together and nodded, unsure of what would actually come out if I opened my mouth.

"I can't believe that a-hole is back! I thought he'd be expelled!" Emma said. "I'm so sorry Mel." She raised her hand to put on my shoulder but pulled it back when I flinched slightly. My cheeks felt hot, and quickly I began stuttering out an apology. "It's okay, don't worry at all."

"Let's go to class," Alani said. "We'll walk you."

"What about Carson?" I asked quietly.

"Harvey sent a text saying their coach already heard about the almost fight and was chewing them out," Emma replied softly. "I'm sure he'll check in with you soon."

"Okay."

***

I couldn't focus in my first class. It wasn't new for me, considering what has been going on, but I felt particularly like getting up and going for a jog. I wanted to escape in some way from the living nightmare going to school had become. My legs bounced anxiously as I counted down the minutes my first class would be over, earning me a couple of annoyed looks from the girl who sat next to me.

The moment the bell rang, I was up and out of there. But once I was in the hallway, the idea of sitting through a second class didn't seem appealing, so I went to the only place in the school that I knew I could get some peace and quiet.

I locked myself in the custodial closet and left the lights off so no one would think to come inside here. Once the hallway cleared out, I laid on my side and started doing leg raises. It was the easiest thing I could do to release a little bit of the anxiety in my body. After leg raises, I moved to squats and then to sit ups. It wasn't enough to sweat profusely, but it was enough to burn calories. When I finally began feeling lightheaded, I sat down and checked my cellphone.

I'm sorry I didn't get to see you before class.

Coach started in on me about the fight.