• 65: Ballroom •

First of all, listen to this song (it appears later on in the chapter):

Carson

I took a steadying breath at the front door of Melody's house, trying to hide my nerves. I had already met Margot, but the thought of meeting Melody's dad was intimidating. Margot was horrible to Melody, so her opinion didn't matter much to me, but her father was one half of her. Though she didn't say it, I felt like she wanted him to notice her and be proud of her.

I knocked on the door and it quickly opened, revealing Melody in a floor length dress. It was champagne coloured and had a low neckline. It was tasteful yet flirty enough to make my eyes almost fall out of my head.

The chilly breeze that blew towards the house ruffled the loose material of the skirt part of her dress. Her hair, done in big waves, framed her face nicely. Melody's perfect skin seemed to glow as her green eyes watched me. They looked darker somehow, as they seemed to hold me into place. I only managed to find my voice when she whispered a greeting.

"You are breathtaking," I told her, watching pink colour her cheeks.

"I-I – thank you," Melody mumbled, looking away. I knew she didn't believe me, but it was true, and I wanted her to hear it anyway. "You look handsome," she added.

"Are you going to invite him in? Or let us all freeze with the door open?" Mia called, making Melody frown, which made me smile. Mia was a little annoying, but Melody's pouty face was cute. I stepped inside as Melody introduced me to her stepfamily once again and then to her father, Robert. I saw a little bit of a resemblance with him and Melody. She had his nose and his chin, but from the picture I saw of her mother in her room, everything else was from her mom. I wondered how much that bothered Margot.

"Nice to finally meet you sir," I said with an outstretched hand.

"Likewise," Robert replied, shaking my hand firmly.

After thanking the family for including me in their evening, we went outside to the limo where I helped Melody in after her family.

***

The banquet hall was spacious and well prepared for the large amount of people that Margot and her friends Grace and Amelia had planned for. After an uncomfortable conversation with them and watching Margot subtly try to pull the spotlight away from Melody, we went to get some drinks from the open bar. A soda for me and iced water for her, we stood by the table we would be sitting at observing people as they entered the ballroom.

"So, what's the whole purpose of hosting this banquet?" I asked quietly.

"Margot, Amelia and Grace do it every year to raise money for books and school supplies for underprivileged schools. It's all Grace's idea – she's the only one with a bit of a conscience – but the rich people in this town play along because it looks good," Melody said.

"Ahh, and it's a tax write off," I added making her laugh.

"You're almost as salty as I am," Melody cooed with a smirk.

"We're meant for each other," I laughed. I felt my cheeks heat slightly and I quickly took a sip of my soda. "Looking forward to the holiday break?" I asked before Melody could confirm or deny that offhanded statement that was way more loaded than I had meant it to be.

"I guess so... no school," Melody said looking away. "What about you?"

"I'm excited. You and I are going to do lots of fun winter things this break," I smiled, taking her hand in mine.