• 40: Snapchat Filter •

Melody

I woke up early on Saturday morning, threw on some workout clothes, and headed down to the basement. I smiled when the treadmill greeted me and once my feet touched the machine, I didn't stop moving until I couldn't handle it. I switched from the treadmill to the stair climber and even did some sit ups. Once I was done those it was back to the treadmill until I couldn't see straight.

I stepped off the exercise apparatus and let my shaking feet guide me to the stairs. When up on the main floor, I stopped at my father's office. Peeking through the glass window next to the door, I could see that he was hunched over his desk, typing away at the desktop computer. It was crazy that all he did was that.

I knew I shouldn't bother him, but I had the urge to going and talk to him. To know that my dad was still there. I raised my hand to knock on the door.

"What do you think you're doing?" It was Margot. Every day I got more and more irritated by the sound of her voice. She stood at the end of the hall her arms folded across her silicone-filled chest.

"I want to go talk to my dad," I mumbled.

"He's busy. You also wouldn't want to go in there looking like a wet dog," she sneered. I glared down at the floor and walked away. Stupid Margot. She doesn't own anything here, what is her issue?

***

I took a long bath after my confrontation with Margot and put on a comfortable pair of pajamas to hang out in until it was time to get ready. I decided to do homework in the meantime, trying to catch up on math and history. Hours later, I completed my math and was halfway done my history homework, so I began curling my hair.

After my hair was done, I did my makeup, keeping it light but let silver and pink be the color scheme. I then slipped on the white v-line dress that cut off above mid-thigh. It had an interesting texture to it, which made it seem almost cloud like. I put on a silver choker and my wings, and then I hid my costume underneath a huge long jacket, so that Carson couldn't see it until we got to the party.

When he pulled up outside, I smiled from my window and picked up my wand and sparkly heels with wings on them. I raced down the stairs and dashed out of the front door. Once on the porch, I put on my shoes and walked to the car.

I opened the car door and got in. "Hi."

"I was going to ring," Carson said with a smile.

"Yeah, that's okay, I didn't want to deal with Margot again," I said with a shrug.

Carson nodded, sensing my discomfort. "So, am I going to see your costume?"

"When will I get to see yours?"

"At the party," Carson grinned, starting up the car.

"That's when you'll see mine too," I laughed, pulling on my seatbelt. Carson drove off, the purr of the engine echoing in the night. I fiddled with the radio, seeing what was on. Settling on a pop song, made Carson look at me in surprise.

"No indie tonight?" he asked, a hint of a grin pulled on the corners of his lips.

"I told you I wasn't –"

"Picky," Carson finished, making me giggle.

We were quiet, the familiar four beat song filling the car. I looked into the growing darkness of the evening, feeling worried about the party. I'd never been to one of these. I wondered if Rose was right. Maybe people like me couldn't just crossover into the popular kids' party life. Maybe my outfit was going to be stupid, and everyone was going to show up in something better. Or maybe scary outfits, and I looked too soft. I knew bunny ears were in, so maybe everyone would wear something like that...