• 88: Nostalgic •

Any excuse to play Bon Iver LOL... but listen to this one:

Melody

The bright, fluorescent lights were an almost blinding contrast to the dark skies outside. Though it was much warmer inside, my body still shook from the cold that made its way through the thick material of my jacket. Aisle of snacks, hair products, makeup, and more were spread throughout the Walgreens I had managed to walk to. However, I was only interested in one aisle.

The aisle that would make me feel like I could do something right. Maybe Margot would shut up for once. Maybe I wouldn't be tempted when I went out. Maybe there would be more modelling jobs and I wouldn't be worried about any competition. Maybe I would feel beautiful.

I stared at the wall of pills and bit my lip in hesitation. There were so many to look at and choose from. I picked one up that looked promising enough.

"May cause increased heart rate and blood pressure, insomnia, headache, dry mouth, constipation, vomiting, nausea, dizziness, anxiety, or fatigue. Abuse, dependence, or withdrawal may occur with long-term use," I read under my breath.

Well, let's hope for the best.

I picked up the box of diet pills and began walking to the front, when I saw Serena and Summer walking by the aisle. I spun around quickly, hoping that they wouldn't see me. They were carrying typical drugstore items; candy, movies, and nail polish, probably grabbing last minutes things for a fun sister-bonding night.

I once wished that I could have that experience with Mia. But now, I just hoped she would stay on the opposite side of the house as me. It was sad, but I preferred avoidance to fighting.

"O-M-G! Summer, look Melody's over there!" Serena whispered loudly to her sister. Summer looked over in my direction and her lips curled into a grimace.

"Ugh, what is she doing here?" she sighed. She pasted on a smile, while I pretended to look at pain relief medication. She walked over to me, her twin following her quickly, and I glanced up, feigning surprise to see them in front of me.

"Oh, um hello," I said, hiding the pills in my hand behind me.

"Hey Melody... Why are you here?" Summer asked, her voice riddled with fake concern. "Are you feeling sick?"

"Yeah. We ran out of Tylenol and I have a headache," I lied. Summer and Serena nodded, like they didn't really care in the first place. "Um, are you having a movie night?"

"We are. With Rose. But obviously you're not invited," Summer replied. "Anyways, we have to go get some magazines. Hope we don't see you around."

With that they turned to leave.

"She looked super pale and sickly," Summer said to her sister as they walked towards the magazines.

"Well, duh, she has a headache!" Serena said trying to sound smart.

"You really bought that?" Summer snorted.

"Oh, she was lying? Maybe she's got like diarrhoea..." Serena said. I rolled my eyes at that. Summer laughed but stopped short as she noticed something and gasped.

"Oh, my God!"

"What?" Serena said. "Oh! That's Melody! On a magazine!"

"No kidding genius! Rose is going to flip. We have to bring this to her."