• 48: Staring •

Melody

It was Rose who started the rumour.

She ran right up to Carson to tell him.

Melody Reese; 7:03 pm

I knew it!

I can't believe how quickly she spread it.

Emma Murphy; 7:05 pm

She's such an evil plotting witch.

Alani Reynolds; 7:08 pm

Yeah. Anyways, that was my uncle.

And I talked to Carson & everything's fine.

Melody Reese; 7:10 pm

That's good!

Alani Reynolds; 7:13 pm

Yay! You two are so cute!

Emma Murphy; 7:14 pm

It was a lie. A small lie. Gavin was like an uncle, but he wasn't really one. Besides, Carson knew what I was going to tell people. He suggested I told my friends, but I didn't know how they'd react. I also wasn't entirely sure I trusted Cora. She seemed like she wanted to see me fail at everything I attempted.

***

On Monday, I walked into school wearing a denim skirt, an off the shoulder grey sweater and grey thigh high boots. Hand in hand with Carson, I was caught off guard by the amount of people staring at us – at me – as we walked the halls. Most of the girls were giving me dirty looks; as if it was something new to hate me. The guys wiggled their eyebrows at me when Carson wasn't looking, but I didn't let him, or anyone see if it bothered me. I kept a pleasant expression on my face and continued talking to Carson about a new episode of Project Runway.

"Okay, you definitely have to show me that one," Carson concluded after I finished explaining some of the challenges.

"I will," I said grinning at him as we stopped at my locker. I put my math book in my locker as the beginning of a conversation could be heard next to me.

"I can't believe he's still with that girl. She sounds like a slut."

"Oh my gosh, right? Like who even cheats on –"

"Oh crap! Kendra he's behind you."

There were muffled giggles as I composed myself and closed my locker. Carson's eyebrows were furrowed, and his lips pressed firmly together, hearing what people were saying.

"It's okay. They don't know the truth, but you do," I said, touching his shoulder gently. His expression softened, and he reached out to stroke my face. My skin heated under his touch.

"I'm sorry Mellie; it's all my fault."

"It isn't," I said.

"No, I mean..." Carson sighed, and I hoped he wasn't about to say what I was thinking. "I dated Rose for a little while in the tenth grade before she became a cheerleader and not to mention a really mean and jealous person."

My suspicions were confirmed in a simple sentence. She wanted him back. All I could hope was that he wouldn't change his mind and want her too.

"Oh, yeah. I figured," I said nonchalantly.