• 120: Awake •

Melody

"... to make... better, but... like it's my fault."

I heard it so softly amongst the darkness. Like a flicker of light or a faint echo in thick fog, it beckoned me.

"I should have done more. I'm so sorry Mellie."

It was louder this time, registering Carson's voice in my brain.

Slowly, my eyes opened, revealing bright, cold white lights above me. I squinted and glanced around in confusion, remembering last being in the hallway outside of the art room. I heard beeping and chatter around me that felt extremely foreign. My head still felt foggy, and I felt both heavy and like I wasn't here at the same time.

"Oh Mellie! You're awake!" Carson's face was suddenly leaning over mine. The ghost of a smile was on his lips, but a few tears had betrayed him, falling onto his cheeks. I reached up and placed my hand softly against his cheek. A few more tears came spilling out, making my eyes burn with tears of my own. "I was so worried."

"I'm sorry," I whispered, though my throat was so dry it barely came out. It felt like I was fighting a fog as I spoke. My eyelids didn't want to stay apart.

"Don't be," Carson said, softly brushing some hair out of my face. "How do you feel?"

"Tired," I murmured.

"Then sleep; it's okay," he replied.

"Will... will you still... be..."

"I'll be here," he smiled softly.

"Okayyy..."

***

"...severely anaemic and extremely low electrolytes and blood sugar. Which is most likely why she fainted. We'll have to run some more tests and talk to her more once – oh hello there," the doctor said noticing I woke up as he spoke.

I looked around and noticed my dad, Margot and Mia standing up and talking to him. I quickly glanced to my side and relaxed once I saw Carson still sitting there. My dad looked uncomfortable and terrified, while Margot looked bored and unbothered. Mia however, appeared worried.

"Melody, I'm Doctor Benson. How do you feel?" the doctor asked as he came to stand by me.

"Tired..." I whispered.

"Hmm. I'm just going to do a little test here, is that okay?" Dr. Benson asked. I nodded slightly, which made me feel a little woozy, as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a little light. "Just follow my finger."

I stared at the finger he held up and he shined his light in my eyes, making me flinch. I squinted a little, feeling a throbbing in my head as the bright light shone on my face.

"Everything looks alright, but does the light hurt your head?" Dr. Benson asked.

"Yes," I said quietly.

"Did you hit your head when you fainted?" he asked, and I shrugged. He turned to my father and began speaking. "It appears she might have a concussion... It would likely..."

My eyelids began fighting to meet once again. So, I decided to let them. Everything was dark once again, and it felt peaceful.

***

When I woke up this time, the room was empty, except for Carson who was sitting next to me on his cellphone.

"Hi," I said quietly. Carson looked up from his phone and gave me a small smile.

"Your family just went for a coffee," Carson told me.

"How long was I sleeping for?" I asked. Carson glanced down at his phone.