• 100: 4:08 am •

Melody

I hurried up to my room when I got home and closed the door behind me. Immediately, I ripped my dress off and tossed it into the trashcan by my desk, not wanting to ever see it again. I grabbed an oversized t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants and headed to my bathroom, ready to shower. To wash tonight's events off my skin. But I didn't.

I stopped short at the door, my mind reeling with the image of Diesel walking into the bathroom. Cornering me. Reaching for me. Putting his hands on me.

I squeezed my eyes shut and took a shaky breath as I stumbled backwards. I reached out and closed the bathroom door, not wanting to go there tonight. I put on the clothes in my hands and sat in the middle of my bed, legs crossed, staring into nothing.

For the first time, I noticed that the house was quiet. Eerily quiet, like the calm after a storm. Or before one. I didn't know the difference anymore.

My dad wasn't home for the weekend, but I was surprised Margot wasn't downstairs with a bottle of wine. Better for me regardless. I didn't want to deal with her right now. I couldn't.

It was why I went to Denny's with everyone rather than coming straight here. I sat and half-listened to their forced conversation, so I didn't have to come back to my house and deal with my fake family. Or maybe it was so I wouldn't have to deal with my thoughts.

'I told you a fat ass was better to hold to.'

My mind echoed with Diesel's voice every time I glanced at the carrot sticks on Carson's plate. I didn't have an appetite and that didn't help it come back. So, I stared at my tea and focused on what everyone was saying around me until they had to go home.

Both Carson and Emma sent a few texts wanting to know if I was okay, or wanted to talk, but I could only tell them that I was fine and didn't need anything. The truth was I didn't know what I was feeling.

So, I sat. I sat on my bed for hours, not knowing what I was feeling. Trying not to think. Trying not to think about the way he looked me up and down. Trying not to let the feeling of Diesel's hot breath on my neck and face seep into my mind.

Trying to focus on the eerie silence.

Until it was broken.

I heard the same mumbling I did back when I snuck out a few months ago. I had thought it was Mia initially and tuned them out. Now, they grew a little louder and I realized it wasn't my stepsister talking to a boy. I glanced at my phone, which read 4:08am.

I stepped slid out of bed and headed towards my door. I wasn't sure what the reason behind it was. Maybe I wanted a distraction or maybe my curiosity was getting the better of me, but I opened my bedroom door and headed to the source of the noise. Margot's room.

As I walked closer, I could hear her mumbling grow louder. It was mostly incoherent. Sleep-filled slurring. But there were a few sentences that were clearer than the rest.

"Waaaas nooooot myyyy fauuult."

I paused at that. What's not her fault?

There was more unintelligible mumbling before she it was clearer again.

"Waaaaas just aaaa buuuump."

I stood still. Listening. Barely breathing.

"Haaaaarmony. Spuuuun out of controoool."

My mouth fell open. Oxygen seemed to struggle to find my lungs as I backed towards away from her room slowly.

"Noo. Nooo jaaiill."