• 22: Whispers •

Melody

I spent most of my Sunday morning in bed scrolling through social media pages. I mostly kept fashion related pages rather than ones to connect to other people – I didn't really have friends, so who was I going to connect with?

I sighed. That was a lonely sentence. I thought going to a new school would have changed something. That maybe I'd have an abundance of friends and it would be better here, but I guessed I was wrong. Mia was probably going through the pictures taken at her party, while I was locked up in my room alone.

I knew it was partially my fault. I kept to myself and got on Rose's bad side on day one. But maybe it was better this way. No one knew me at Alcott, and I was scared people would find out who I was and why I left my old school.

A knock on my door pulled me out of my thoughts, and I got excited, thinking maybe my dad decided to check on me after he came home and didn't see me downstairs.

"Come in!" I called, sitting up against the backboard of my bed.

The door opened slowly, and Leslie walked in with a tray. I felt my shoulders slump slightly, but I pasted a smile on my face.

"Hey, honey. I thought I'd bring you breakfast; yogurt with granola, and some fruit," she told me. I smiled as she brought me the tray.

"Thanks Leslie." I paused, debating whether to ask or not. "What's my father doing?" It was so quiet; I didn't think I actually said it.

Leslie gave me a kind smile, and I knew the answer before she said it. "He has been in his office since he got home."

"Okay," I mumbled. Leslie turned to leave when I asked, "What does downstairs look like?" I hoped Mia found a way to clean it all up before our parents got home.

"It's the same as it's always been; why?" Leslie replied. I gave her a meaningful expression and a knowing look appeared on her face. "I won't tell on her if you don't."

Leslie knew that if Mia got caught, I'd most likely get in trouble too, so she never told if Mia threw an unauthorized party.

"Thanks," I told her before looking back to my laptop.

And then she was gone. And once again, I was alone.

***

Monday morning rolled around, and I pulled on a light blue, turtleneck tank top and a pair of black high-waist jeans. I left my hair down, but did my makeup, finding a nice shade of lipstick to match my outfit. I pulled on a pair of white sneakers and grabbed my black backpack to go to school. When I got downstairs, Mia was sitting on the couch watching television. She gave me a once over and wrinkled her nose.

"I hate that shirt," She said looking back at the television.

I frowned and went back upstairs immediately, to change into a white, flowy top that hung off my shoulders. I changed my shoes to white heels, which matched my outfit more, and came back downstairs.

"Better?" I asked. I hated giving her this much power, but I actually wanted to look cute today if I was eating lunch with Carson.

"I hate it less that the first one," Mia said, after glancing at me. She sounded bored and apathetic, which made me feel a little sad. It was like she just stopped caring about me all together, and nothing I did could change it.

I walked into the kitchen to see that Leslie was cooking scrambled egg whites. She smiled at me. "Good morning, sweetie, are you having breakfast?"

"No, thanks Leslie," I said picking up a water bottle and filling it up. "I want to get to school early," I lied.

"Okay, dear," Leslie nodded. I put the water bottle in my bag and left the kitchen, breezing passed Mia as quickly as I could.