Chapter 18 Act Like You Love Me

Chapter 18 Shawn's POV
I woke up the next morning really upset. I couldn't get what Zak said to Ainsley outta my head. I was beyond curious on how he found out. After I got ready to go to school my first stop was to go to his house and settle things straight. I hopped into my all black Camaro and drove off. In my head I was thinking of different things I could tell him if he disrespects me. Like... You no good apricot! Wait, apricot? No. That's way to corny. Ugh. Maybe I'll come up with something better on the spot. I pulled into his drive way and walked to his front door. His mom answered.
"Shawn! I didn't know you were back in town?" She gave me a big hug and I began feeling a heavy feeling in the house.
"May I see Zak?"
"Of course he is in his room!" I walked in and up the stairs and I knocked on his door.
"Mom! I said I'll be ready in 5 minutes!" He yelled. I opened the door slowly.
"I don't think your mom necessarily cares Zak." He paused and he looked at me.
"What the hell do you want?" He questioned with a a horrible attitude.
"I want to know how you found out about Ainsley father." He began to laugh to himself.
"I don't see what's funny."
"My dad used to work in the coast guard business with her dad, when he picked me up from school my dad noticed her when she was walking out and he told me the whole story. That was actually his best friend. My father was one of the men that went on the rescue mission with her dad." He explained. 
"Oh. Well. Why was it that you had to say some thing to her?" I questioned.
"I was drunk last night. That was my fault." He rubbed his eyes and yawned.
"You really need to get a drivers license dude." I added.
"Don't need it." He began to laugh to himself.
"Something changed in you man." I began to feel a sickness in my stomach.
"Excuse me?" He lifted his head up at me.
"You're not the same best friend I used to know. The man who would have my back and support my decisions no matter what." I took a deep breathe.
"You're the reason why I kept going in music." He froze then stood up.
"I didn't help you with shit. You're making me seem like I'm a man filled with flaws." He put on a t shirt.
"You did though Zak, and there is a part of me saying you just don't care about our relationship anymore."
"No. Stop. You actually have your hands full more than mine. Did you even tell your new lover you're leaving in about two weeks or so?" He began to walk closer to me.
"Then she's going to really know you're the man of her dreams. You're just another man filled with secrets. Wow, that's going to break her nerdy heart." I stood quiet in anger knowing that fighting with him would become completely useless in the end.
"I see who you really are. You're not the guy who would love to prank call and ding dong ditch, you're the man on who people would hate to become." I turned and walked quickly outta of his room and I was extremely upset. I wanted things to come across his mind and I wanted him to realize how important he was to me, but that amazingly failed. I also kept thinking about me not telling Ainsley about me leaving soon. All I could think about is how bad it would crush her heart, if I let her know I lied to her.

I got out of my car after parking it in the parking lot at school. I walked to library where I knew Ainsley would be. I peeked through and still nobody was in the library only the usuals. I walked to the very back and noticed she wasn't there. Her backpack, and a book wasn't visual at all. I looked around a little confused wondering where that darn girl is.
"BOO!" I jumped my life out as she scared me from hiding in the bookshelves.
"Dear god, you scared the living nutcrackers outta of me." She laughed to herself.
"I need to tell you something." She walked and sat down at her small little table and I followed her.
"Yes?" She took a deep breathe.
"My pa is leaving the night of prom for two days." She looked extremely upset.
"He wouldn't tell me where he was going. So I'm a little worried." She explained.
"Maybe, it's something important?" I added.
"That's the problem, if it was something important he would have told me right away. Now that means I have the whole place to myself." She scratched her head.
"Is that bad?" I smiled.
"No just feels empty that's all." I paused when I realized that prom was tomorrow.
"Hey uh, Ainsley do you realize prom is tomorrow right?" Her eyes widen.
"SHAWN MENDES! YOU MEAN TO TELL ME YOU ASKED ME TO PROM TWO DAYS BEFORE?!?! I DON'T EVEN HAVE A DRESS!"' She yelled. 
"Shh. Lower your voice were in a library." I laughed along.
"I'm sorry?" I smiled at her not helping it, but to laugh.
"Seriously though, I'm happy I'm going with you." I grabbed her hand from across the table. I was thinking about my argument I had with Zak this morning right before school and I care so much for that man. I don't want us not to be best friends but the way he's been acting seems a little over the top. I was really drained and upset and I was trying my best not to express it but I surprisingly failed.
"Shawn." She reached for my hand across the table.
"What's wrong?" I took a deep breathe and looked into her eyes.
"I went into Zak's this morning." I scratched my head.
"I was so angry on what he said yesterday, and I found out that his dad was with your father that night he uh passed. He recognized your face when you walked out of school the other day. He was drunk and.."
"You don't have to keep going Shawn if you want."
"No, then I yelled at him that he wasn't the man I knew a year ago. He changed and ugh. I'm just extremely upset that's all." I explained to her.
"You know I don't know why people change, it can be because out of growth, or something that has affected them in a way that may not be explained." I thought about what she said, and a bunch of conclusions were rushing into my head. Maybe he was upset with me about my career or I didn't pay much attention to him when I was beginning to grow. I guess those will be thoughts possibly questions that may never get the chance to become answered.