Chapter 37

Taika's P.O.V

=Flashback=

I had enrolled myself in school, assured that I'd at least have a meal per day. 'Now to figure out how I'll survive winter.'

Winter was nearing. Fast. Months of cold and snow and sleet and hail. I don't have much time. The past few winters have been lucky, but I need to be prepared for the worst.

I don't have a home. I don't get warm meals. I live on the streets.

Right now I'm walking to school. I wouldn't be doing this if it didn't mean that I would get a free meal. I've enrolled myself into second grade. I'm pretty smart for living on the streets.

I walk into the classroom as students murmur amongst themselves.

"Who's she?"

"A new student?"

"Her eyes are freaky."

"Much like 'Little Miss Freak's' eyes."

' 'Little Miss Freak'? 'Who's she?'

I spot a girl in the back of the classroom writing in a journal. Her hair reminds me of a raven's feather. Her bangs shield her eyes. 'I wonder if that' who they're referring to.' All of the seats around that girl are empty.

I move to sit by her. Someone shouts. "Hey new kid! I wouldn't sit by her if I were you!"

I walk over to the person who shouted. "Why is that?" I ask the boy.

"She's the Devil's child. Everyone knows that." He explains.

"How come?"

"A devil's eyes are red. Her eyes are pink."

"My eyes are yellow." I state.

"But yellow isn't a shade of red."

'He has a point. But that doesn't give them the right to judge her.

"There's only one other person who's willing to talk to her, but she's in a different class. They're both spoiled rich." A girl says.

"Who said I cared? I'll sit where I want to sit." I glare at them and sit right next to the black-haired girl.

The teacher walks into the classroom. "Hello class. We've a new student today." She looks at me. "Would you like to come up and introduce yourself?"

I get up from my seat and walk to the front of the room. "My name is Taika." I say with no expression.

No one says anything. "Does anyone want to ask her a question?"

No one raises their hand. After a moment, the girl in the back raises her hand. Her bangs still cover her eyes.

"Do you believe in magic and miracles?" She asks.

"No. They have never happened to me. I especially don't believe in miracles." I answer. But something weird happens.

She smiles.

Timeskip

School had ended. I grab my stuff and run out of the building. 'As much as dislike school, I might be able to learn survival techniques. I mean, there's got to be something useful in those lessons.'