Chapter 40

Lauren's P.O.V

I wake up from another nightmare, yet again. I jump out of bed and walk into the closet. I put on a white sundress with a black belt on it. I put on black flats and walk into the bathroom and cover any visible scars.

When I walk out, Jason's in the room. "Good morning." He greets me.

I sigh. "Morning." I grab my backpack and follow him to the dining room. He pulls out the chair next to the head of the table. I take a seat and he sits next to me.

Servants rush into the room with breakfast. Once again, it's some sort of fancy food that I don't know what it is. I quickly finish. Jason takes my hand when he finishes and leads me to a limo. "We're riding to school in that?" I ask.

"Yeah. Something wrong?"

"I normally walk to school with everyone."

"Well, the school's quite a distance. I'd normally drive myself, but I figured that it's easier for me to take the limo."

He opens the door for me and I get in. Jason then gets in. The limo starts moving. I look out the window behind us and see a car following us. "Hey, what's with the car?" I ask.

"Don't worry about it. They're doing their job." He says.

The limo stops and Jason gets out and helps me out. Students hover around the limo, shocked, surprised, curious. Six men get out of the car behind us and walk over to me and Jason.

The men surround Jason and I. 'I get it. They're preventing me from making any contact with anyone else here.'

"I wanna go to the courtyard." I tell Jason.

We start walking to the courtyard. 'I'll hopefully be able to see everyone there. Well, besides Will, Undertaker, and Nancy.'

The men move and Jason leads me over to the tree. That's where I see them. I start to tear up. I release myself from Jason's grip and run over to Sebastian and jump on him, knocking him to the ground. "Sebastian!" I cry.

Sebastian hugs me and holds me tight. "Lux. It is good to see you and hear you in person." He says.

"Don't let them take me." I say.

"Who?"

"Them." I turn around and point at the six men and Jason, who were all walking over.

"Lauren, you know that you're not supposed to make contact with them." Jason says.

Taika walks up to Jason. "Look here. She's falling apart without us. We're falling apart without her. You can't control who she hangs out with."

"Not my rule. It's Adam and Morgan who made that rule." He says. "They're going to find out. I'm trying to protect her."

"I'll take the punishment. It's not like it's become any worse or anything." I say.

"Lauren, I don't want you to get hurt." He says.

"I've been hurt all my life. I've healed. There are scars to prove it. Psychologically and physiologically. A few more won't make a difference." I say. Everyone gives me a 'what the heck' look.

The bell rings, signaling that it's time to head to first period. Sebastian gets up while carrying me. "But Lauren-"

"I've told you time and time that it's Lux. That's my name and I won't be called anything else." I state. 'I'm done tolerating this. It's time for me to stand up.'

Sebastian carries me to chinese class. "I can walk. I'm pretty sure I've told you this before." I smile.

"You have indeed. But I prefer to carry you." He smiles.