Chapter 39

Nina's P.O.V

=Flashback=

I get up and get dressed in my clothes. A plain brown dress. Brown flats. I get out of my small room and to the kitchen.

The cook greets me. "Mornin' Nina! How'd you sleep?"

"Decent. Is the master's breakfast ready?"

"It is." He hands me a couple of trays and I place them on a cart. I take it to the dining room. When I open the doors, the master is already there.

"You're late." He says.

"I am sorry. I didn't think you would be here already since you normally arrive three minutes later than now."

"Hmm, that is true. Fine, you have today to clean the mansion from top to bottom."

"Thank you for your kindness." I bow. 'Dang, why can't I leave? I don't get why he wants me around. He says he's 'merciful'. As if. I do have to say, this punishment is better. At least compared to having to clean his mansion in one hour.'

"By the way, people keep questioning me whether you go to school or not. Since it is the law, you'll be starting tomorrow. When you're there, you're to focus on only your school work. Don't talk to anyone. Except the staff there. I expect perfect grades from you. Consider this a gift." He says.

"Thank you for your generosity, master." I bow.

"There will also be an outfit placed in your room each morning for school. Now, go get to work." He says, then leaves.

I start to clean the mansion. Now, I didn't chose to live here or to work for him. When I was younger, he murdered my family. He says that I should be grateful for his mercy towards me. I've tried to escape before, but he caught me and I was brought back.

'Now I get some free time from the mansion and him.'

Timeskip

I walk into the classroom. Because of my age, I was put into third grade. It's already the middle of second quarter, though. Everyone stares at me. Everyone but a girl in the back. Her bangs cover her eyes. All of the desks around her are empty. I chose to sit at an empty desk in the front.

'I have to pay attention and get nothing but perfection.'

The teacher walks in. "Good morning class. We have a new student joining us today. Come up and introduce yourself."

I walk to the front of the room. "My name is Nina."

"Does anyone have any questions for her?" The teacher asks the class.

The girl in the back raises her hand, her hair still covering her eyes. "Do you believe in magic and miracles?" She asks. The class murmurs.

"She asked the same question last year to the new kid."

"Well, she is the Devil's child."

"She's 'Little Miss Freak' after all. It's expected of her."

"I don't. Maybe when I was younger, but I definitely don't now. It was stupid of me to think that I did." I answer. But she gives me a weird reaction.

She smiles.

Timeskip

I've been going to school for three days now. That girl hasn't made any contact with me since. I haven't spoken to any of the my classmates, either. I'm taking my first test back to the mansion, which I aced, to show master.