Chapter 43

Lauren's P.O.V

I walk into Adam and Morgan's mansion. There, I'm greeted by Morgan.

"Where's Jason?" She demands.

"I don't know. He sent me home and went off to do something." I lie.

"Fine. Go to Adam's study. He wants to talk to you." She orders, then leaves the room.

'What could he want?' I feel myself shake. 'Calm down. Remember: fight back.'

I walk to Adam's study and knock on the door. "Who is it?" Is heard from behind the door.

"Lauren. You wanted to see me, sir?" I answer.

"Come in." He says. I open the door and walk in, closing it behind me.

"We're hosting a party tomorrow for business reasons. You're going to attend. It's a masquerade ball, so dress appropriately. The clothing will be vintage." He explains.

"If I may ask, sir, is the attire going to be much like the attire worn in the Victorian Age?" I ask.

"Much like it. Now go to your room." He shoos. I quickly leave and go to my room. I wedge a pencil in the door so that it won't completely close and lock me in. I grab my phone and lock myself in the bathroom and send a text to Nancy.

Lux:

Adam and Morgan are hosting a masquerade ball at their mansion tomorrow. The attire is supposed to be a lot like Victorian wear. Tell Sebastian 'The Crow's love bleeds'. Then follow him at the party. I have a plan.

4:27pm

Nancy replies, saying that she'll start preparations immediately. I walk into the bathroom door, then take a step back and actually open the door. I put away my phone and realize that I'm starving. 'Now that I think of it, I never ate lunch.'

I walk into the mini kitchen attached to the room. 'I don't know if anything here is safe to eat. It should be if it's already packaged and not opened. I'll look for that.'

I find a sealed box of strawberry pocky and take it. I run into the room and grab my journal and sit at the desk. I write down every single little detail of what's happened since yesterday.

Timeskip

Lauren's P.O.V

Morgan made me stay home from school, seeing as how Jason hasn't 'returned' from his errand. Doesn't really matter anyhow. I'll be back with my family in a matter of time. Patience is virtue. Whatever that means. I just have to let the second act begin.

All day, I've been practicing cooking. I know what I said about the food, but I'm a witch. I have spells. I have magic. I have made sure all the food is safe.

'Okay, I've got it this time.' I put the cake in the oven, which was preheated. I start to clean up. I pick up the recipe and something catches my eye.

'Uh-oh. It says two teaspoons of baking soda, not two cups.' I go to take the cake out of the oven, but the oven explodes.

'Not again.' I work fast and clear the smoke out of the room. The damage? Not too bad. It's not even covering half the kitchen this time. The oven, however... well. It's gone. Literally.

"At least Morgan and Adam are gone." I grab some cleaning supplies and get started. 'Could've been worse.'

After an hour or so, I don't know I lost track of time, I finally finish cleaning the aftermath of my cake.