Chapter 5 - My Partner

Beep. Beep. The clock rang. Eve didn't want to wake up. She felt warm and snug. Like normal mornings, she slept through it. Beep. Beep. This time she lazily opened her eyes. The clock showed 6:30 a.m. School starts at 8:00. She was so warm and comfy. She didn't want to wake up.
She looked down. Two arms rapped around her waist. Those two arms weren't her's. She uncomfortably looked over to see Matt asleep. She jumped and fell off the bed. She hit her head on the floor.
"What! What happened" Matt looked over to Eve on the floor
"I told you no touching" she growled
He looked confused "what are you talking about"
"Nothing" she mumbled as she made her way to the bathroom. She tried on her training clothes Bailee had given her. They fit quite nice. She looked at herself in the mirror. She looked like a guy from a movie, like a spy. Except her hair was a mess. She pulled on her sneakers and walked out the bathroom.
"Took you long enough princess" he smiled
"Don't call me that" she said tying her shoes
She felt home sick all the sudden. Sure it was a cruddy place, but it was her cruddy place. She missed how her brother stole her food. The way her mom pampered Sara was unforgettable to her. The way her dad was always gone gave her space. Now she felt like she's getting more than her fair share of attention. But then Eve remembered the way Alice bullied her. She wasn't going back. No she had to stay here.
"You ready to go" Matt was halfway out the door looking back at Eve
She looked up "Uh sure" she went after him. They had Mr. Adam together for the first half of the day. The half after lunch was the gender based classes. They had made an announcement that the boys would be with this guy teacher and the girls with Mrs. Phoenix. She wasn't looking forward to being in an all girl class, but she didn't know if it was different or not.
  At the next floor, they could see some of the kids from the show case. They all looked tired and blown out. They limped around like zombies. We all gazed up as Mr. Adam opened his door. The kids came to life and rushed in. Once Matt and Eve were in, they took a back row seat. Mr. Adam went to his desk and sat down.
  "Class I'm so excited to meet you all, but we have more important things to attend to. I asked, and the head said we are allowed to visit the simulators for this weeks lesson. This weeks lesson is learning to work efficiently by your partners side. We must learn to work together. That is the only way to acc-"
  "Accomplish your case" butted in a deep voice
  "Sir Trent I wasn't excepting to see you in my classroom"
  "Well I decided to drop by. You know with your little field trip and all" he winked. All the girls giggled. Seriously! This guy is a complete pedofile.
"Well then kids. Let's get going" Mr. Adam lead them down the stairs to the main room Eve saw first entering the base. As they walked to the simulators, Eve saw Bailee and Casper battling with another team of two people. For a split second Casper turned around to give a thumbs up as if trying to say good luck. Then he turned back around to kick the enemy in the gut.
  We sat on risers. So that way everyone could see this big screen in front of us. Kids mumbled quietly as Mr. Adam pulled out a big box. Sir Trent also carried a red bag. They set it down by a simulator door. Mr. Adam walked to the big screen and grabbed a remote to turn it on.
  "Kids welcome to the simulators. Here is where we will begin our first trial. Five pairs will be chosen each time we go through one round. We'll have at least three or four rounds. Each round will take you to a random location where you will have to-"
  "Fight till you die" butted in Sir Trent
  Mr. Adam quickly put in "No! You won't have to fight, well not to the death. You might encounter a certain amount of guys, but the fighting level will be at low. As I was saying, you'll have to complete a certain amount of tasks. When you get done, there will be a check point where you must drop a yellow flag. You won't be graded on speed. You will be graded on partnership and how you react to the random challenge"
  "This is a grade" worried a girl in the front
"Yes but a minor grade. We will take the same test at the end of each semester. Now to announce the first five teams" he called out the first five. Eve and Matt hoped not to get called. Lucky for them that they didn't get called the fist round. They wanted to get a glimpse of what they were supposed to do. Even if they would be put in a different area, they still wanted to see what it would be like.
The first five groups were all the same gender in there groups. The first three groups were all female. The other two were male groups. In the box was a hat, a match box, and a wooden straw. In the bag was black suits with a silver lining. Sir Trent smiled as Mr. Adam opened the door to let them in. Once inside and the door was closed, Mr. Adam switched on the tv. He then walked up to a control panel and started switching things on.
  Eve looked down. Sir Trent was talking to a group of giggling girls. One out of particular caught her eye. A girl with jet blue hair stood closest to Sir Trent. Her green eyes caging him in. She twirled her hair like a flirt. Yep a pedofile. She thought to herself. Then she looked back at the tv screen.
  The kids were in a desert area. They all looked around puzzled. The teams looked at the things in there hands and shrugged. Mr. Adam looked at the screen then switched the microphone on.
  "Students. Can you hear me?"
  They all looked around again puzzled.
  "Well you can't see me. Your goal today is to wonder the desert area and find a water source. Using your things and knowledge, find a way to get the water"
  The kids nodded and walked in different directions. The first girl team found a cactus. They light the straw on fire and poked it through the cactus. They used the hat to collect the water.
"Great! Now take that to the watering can"
They rushed the hat over to a circle. They dumped it in. One pulled out a yellow flag.
"Ok take that to the check point. It's over there by the canyon"
As they walked towards the checkpoint, a boy group dug into the ground. They found at least three pockets of water. They used the straw to suck up the water and put it in the hat. They used the matches to signal the teacher. They soon started for the checkpoint as well. The girl team made it there first, then the guys. Soon all the teams dropped their flags on the ground. When they all walked back out, the other kids cheered for them.
  "Ok next group" Mr. Adam announced
  Eve and Matt held their breaths. The first team was a boy team. The second was a girl team. The third was another guy team. The fourth was a boy and girl team. The the fifth was Eve and Matt. They put on the suits, but instead of a straw, matches, and a hat they got helmets, a grappling hook, and a pickaxe. What do we need this for? Questioned Eve as they stepped up to the machine. Matt looked over to her.
  "What are you looking at" Eve rolled her eyes
  "Pumpkin I didn't know helmets looked so great on you"
  "Oh Matt don't you know being a flirt is so annoying" Eve grumbled
  "Here goes nothing" he replied "after you"
  They walked in the simulator. It was dark, then light started flashing. Eve and Matt held on to the wall. The machine spun and spun. They got dizzy and light headed. Then it suddenly stopped. The door swung open.
            Somewhere in New York 
  She walked around the Statue of Liberty. The necklace her master gave her still in the case. She breathes heavily as she started to run. She couldn't lose the man. She had to get him before he said a word to the police.
She tackled him to the ground. She sat on him and struggled to get a second necklace.
"What do you want from me" he yelled
"I want the necklace" she growled
He reached into his pocket and took out a small box.
"Here. Have it" he through the box on the ground. She ran after it. She caught it in her hands and opened it. There it was the second necklace. Master won't be upset after this. She pulled out the same case her master gave her. She carefully set the necklace next to the first one.
Two more to go. She thought in her head as the taxi drove her to the airport. Hope he gets the last one in time. He went on his mission yesterday. He should be back by now. It's not that difficult. Ugh he can never do anything in time. Let's just hope master doesn't get too upset about it. Boy how I miss him. She walked out the taxi. She picked up her bag and headed to gate 9. On the plane she sat silently as she watched the police take a man they thought stole the priceless necklace. She laughed in her head knowing the necklace was safe in her bag. Oh the police. So easy to misdirect. The plane took off. She was safe for now.