Chapter five

John:

Almost immediately as the man knocked on the door, a woman who I recognised as Minerva McGonnagall opened it. Her face was stern and she looked like she had something bothering her. She nodded at the man upon opening.
"Thank you, Hagrid. I can take them from here". Hagrid turned around and left, leaving the group of children with McGonnagall. She pulled the door wide open, inviting us inside. When she opened it, I noted that the entrance hall was bigger than my house. Even Sherlock was looking up in awe. Probably subconsciously though. From what I'd figured out of the trip here, he wasn't one to be in awe of things.
You could hear the animated chatter echoing through the hall. The other students must already have been there. I wanted to go in there and meet other people, but instead, Professor McGonnagall led us into a small chamber. We all piled in, rather closer to each other than comfortable, and we all looked at each other in confusion.
"Welcome to Hogwarts" Professor McGonnagall greeted "the start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your place in the Great Hall, you will all be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have class with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common-room.
"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin." at the mention of Slytherin, a group of boys in the back started booing. Professor McGonnagall gave them a stern look before continuing "Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn you house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honour. I hope each of you" her eyes found the boys at the back who booed "will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours
"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I shall return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly"
And with that, she left. Immediately, people began whispering among themselves. I myself turned to Sherlock.
"Do you know how they sort us?" I asked him. He nodded.
"There's a hat, and it talks. They place it on your head and it reads your mind. It tells you what house you ought to be in based on your traits" he informed. I relaxed a little bit. Sure, if was a telepathic talking hat, but at least you didn't have to do magic.
"I feel sorry for the poor bastards who get into Slytherin" the group at the back said loudly. Many people turned to them "although, I reckon some of you are hoping you get out there"
The speaker's eyes focused on one boy in particular, who was chatting to a girl in the corner. The speaker had dark, messy hair and wore glasses. The person of interest had long black hair, was sickly pale, and had a rather large nose.
"Leave him alone" the girl defended. A small group of watchers laughed at the reply, but the girl glared at the speaker defiantly.
"Evans. Shame you're defending Snivellus here. I thought you were decent" the boy scoffed. Evans was about to reply but McGonnagall re-entered at that moment, bringing the argument to a close.
------------------
The funny thing about this chapter is that jaws writing with guests over. Adults were chatting loudly and I was sitting here writing this.
I think that says a lot about me.
Also, A SUBSTITUTE TEACHER I HAD TODAY USED TO LIVE ON THE STREET WHERE THEY FILMED THE KNOGHT BUS SCENE.
HE TOLD US THAT THEY HAD BARRICADED THE WHOLE STREET, AND THAT THAT SCENE WAS DONE BY A STUNT DOUBLE.
HE ALSO LIKED SHERLOCK
and a girl in my class ate acid. If you're wondering, it tasted like raspberries apparently.
'Til the next time,
-Alza