Chapter twelve

Sherlock:

We'd only been walking for roughly half an hour before I saw red sparks shoot out behind me.
"Shit!" I muttered before sprinting to the source. I didn't know what trouble John could've gotten himself into, but he wouldn't have shot sparks for nothing. I eventually found a clearing in which John lay, a large bite taken out of his chest, unmoving.
"Don't be dead, don't be dead, don't be dead" I whispered over an over as I shook him. He wasn't waking up, so I eventually decided to give up on the chase of the thing, and picked him up to carry him back to the castle. I wasn't sure how I'd justify a massive chunk out of his chest to Madame Pomfrey, but I went through many different scenes in my head before reaching the hospital wing.
I knocked on the door, suddenly nervous about how this would play out.
"Yes? Mr. Holmes, what are you doing out of bed at this time" she snapped, checking her watch.
"I'm sorry. My- my friend isn't waking up. He has a pulse, but I can't get him to wake" I mumbled. Hopefully she wouldn't fully inquire about this. But of course she had to.
"What happened?" She asked, while helping me carry him to one of the beds. He was surprisingly light, so I could've managed no problem, but it was good to have some help.
"I think he was attacked by a dog or something" I confessed.
"Surely not in the castle" she looked at me with an apprehensive eye.
"Um... We were investigating that murder" I admitted, ducking my head. I'd never been this nervous around a teacher, but this was different.
"And I presume you were in the forest?" She continued. I nodded. "Well, I should give you a detention, but you're pretty shaken up, and I think you learned your lesson, so I'm going to take off ten house points for both of you, but that's it. As long as you don't tell any other teacher" she smiled. I smiled back. "Now get back to your dormitory. He's going to be fine" she gestured at John "but you need rest, otherwise you might go into shock. Go"
I was about to complain, but I remembered that she was letting me off detention, and so left without complaint. I couldn't sleep though. More than usual. I kept wondering what had happened to John to get him like this. I was searching through logical answers in my head. Werewolf was out, considering it had happened two nights in a row, it was something big, and dangerous. I knew it would be a good idea to talk to Professor Dumbledore in the morning before breakfast, because whatever it was, it was probably not going to go away on its own.
The strangest thing, however, was not about the creature. It was that, by my count, at 12:46 AM, a small tap was heard at the window, and an owl sat there irritably with a letter tied around its leg.
I got up and opened the window slightly to let the owl in, and the letter was addressed to 'Holmes'.
Very much confused, I untied the the letter and opened it.

Dear Sherlock Holmes,
Are you enjoying this game? Perhaps telling a teacher would be the right idea. But first, I'll introduce myself. I'm James, I've been watching you for months now (And I know exactly who you are), and I am the reason your friend's now in the hospital wing, so listen up.
Tomorrow morning you will not tell any teacher about this. Don't act strange or do anything out of the ordinary. I'll know. Trust me.
What you're going to do tomorrow morning is go downstairs, and stop any contact with John, otherwise he might have an 'accident' and something might happen, and that would be a shame. You're not to tell anyone about this, and you're to talk to no-one other than teachers. Understand?
Good.
Remember, I'll know.
-James

----------------------
DUN DUN DUN
and now, the fun truly begins!
Guys. Still try to guess what the creature is. No-one's managed it.
Here's a clue: it's never ACTUALLY mentioned in any of the books, but it is explained in one of the extra books that JK released (guessing which one is the easy part)
Have fun.
And yeah. 199 reads, guys! You're all awesome! I would hug all of you, but seeing as some of you will live quite far away, or might dislike hugs, or might have some deadly, contagious disease (was that insensitive?), I'll just stick with thanking you guys through cyberspace.
Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou
'Til the next time,
-Alza