Chapter seventeen

A/N: so this chapter will probably be longer than the others, and I might even split it into two POVs, so just watch out for that, because I read stories and skim over that and get really disorientated. Continue
---------------------
John:

So, much like the previous night, Sherlock and I were trying to silently prepare for the precise moment Argus Filch went back up the stairs, the cat following. When he did, Sherlock immediately leapt out and did a sort of swan-dive out the window, then turned, realising that his agility was far greater than mine, to help me through.
"We should have used the Gregory the Smarmy statue passage" I grumbled as they began the long walk to the forest.
"The what?" Sherlock replied. I looked at him incredulously.
"The passage that leads to the forbidden forest that's behind that creepy statue" I explained "the guys in my dorm talk about it all the time"
"Why didn't you mention it before?" Sherlock glared at me.
"I... Forgot?" I mumbled. In all honestly, I had forgotten until a moment ago, when I mentioned it. Sherlock just sighed.
"Trust you to forget that" he muttered, before we returned to the silence.
Eventually, even without aid of the passage, we reached the forest, and were walking through the forest.
"It's darker than it was" I observed.
"New moon" Sherlock replied quickly. I looked up and noticed he was right.
We continued deeper and deeper into the forest, the only light being where Sherlock's torch was aiming, and began to hear more and more odd noises. Horses trampling at one point, a small whinny from what was probably a scared horse, and some bird calls from some rare type of bird. Sherlock seemed unfazed by the sounds, and continued walking through the forest. I, however, was much more jumpy. It was odd, considering I was the Gryffindor, but I figured Sherlock would know much more about what roams in the forest.
"So, here's the clearing you were in last time" he informed, stepping into the clearing. There was still a bit of my blood on the ground, which wasn't surprising, really, but it was a tad disconcerting. Sherlock looked at me with a slightly worried expression.
"It has out scent - well, your scent really" he said. So it was following us. This demon dog thing from the wizarding world was following us, fantastic.
"However, the footprints are still slightly readable. My guess would be that the thing is a quintaped" he continued.
"Quintaped" I repeated "I've read about those"
"According to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, 'the quintaped is a highly dangerous carnivorous beast with a particular taste for humans'" Sherlock recited "but they're only found on the Isle of Drear, so what the hell is one doing here?"
"Have you memorised the textbook or something" I exclaimed.
"Almost" he smirked "but seriously. If you were a carnivorous beast that had been moved into a school forest, where would you be?"
"Hiding in a cave" I muttered, unsure.
"No, you idiot" he interrupted "think. Most creatures in the forest are able to fend for themselves and fight off things like it. It's carnivorous. It needs meat, and so it's hungry because it can't get any. When two students - one of which it tasted, and for some reason decided no to eat- willingly come into the forest, unprotected apart from wand, what does it do" I realised what he was saying.
"Oh" I managed.
"Yeah 'oh'" he remarked. And then we heard it. The low growl from the trees around us.
"Uh" Sherlock said, actually unsure what to do.
"Just run, for God's sake, Sherlock" I yelled, and then we were running.

Sherlock:

I was very aware when John split off from me while we were running, and even more aware when the quintaped footsteps could no longer be heard behind me. But neither of these are close to as aware I was when John yelled. It wasn't the yell I'd heard the night the person had died, so I could safely assume he was alive, but how much linger was the main question. However, I was hardly aware that I was running faster than I remember running before, hoping to not be the reason, once again, John ends up in the hospital wing, or worse...
No. Don't think of that. John is a fighter. He can get out of situations by himself. He doesn't need you to constantly worry and fuss over him. Anyway, he wouldn't be dead. John dead was like Anderson smart. Would only happen in very rare circumstances involving large amounts of hallucinogens. Yes. John wouldn't die. Not now, certainly.
His thoughts were confirmed when he heard a shriek, this time, more animal-like. He entered an entirely different clearing, where John stood, wand at the ready, looking slightly terrified, and the quintaped stood, burnt around the ears and neck, facing him, growling.
"Oi, macboon" Sherlock yelled, causing it to turn and face him. He pulled out his wand and thought through the useful spells that could come in handy here. John had used incendio. Simple, but apparently effective.
"Incarcerous" I yelled. Ropes wrapped around it, but it wiggled out of them easily. I was an idiot to think to take it on. Full grown aurors had been unable to defeat it, so what was going through my mind thinking that an eleven year old who happened to have read some more textbooks than the others in my year, could do what they couldn't. The quintaped stepped towards me, and then John yelled.
"Hey, I'm over here, you ugly little shit" he shouted, the quintaped turned to him.
"Oh come on. Surely you're not going to go for him. Much too chewy" I remarked. It turned back to me. I flashed John a warning glare, but he evidently didn't see it, as he proceeded to shout "at least I have some meat in me"
However, our distractions came to an end when no fewer than five arrows shot through the air, aimed at its head. It ducked, then turned and ran away, as John and I turned to see five centaurs behind us.
"It's getting closer to our hideout" one of them said.
"Oh come on. It's clear they led it here" the other one replied, motioning to us.
"What is your business in our land?" the other asked John.
"Oh, we were just investigating" he stuttered slightly "and then that came out. We really didn't know where we were going. I promise"
"You're from the school?"
"Uh. Yeah" he replied.
"They're starting to invade the land we walk on. This is war" one of them declared. John slightly panicked, with good reason, but the other centaurs turned to him.
"Nonsense, Argeuis" another interrupted "the are young. I doubt the Dumbledore is aware that they're here"
"We can't let them wander around to find their way back" one stated. And this this sort of conversation continued, until the plan was made that the centaurs would help us get back to the outskirts of the forest, and very soon, John and I were back in the school grounds.
"So, about that passage"
----------------------------
So, that was the longest chapter I've ever written o.o
Also, I know it was really badly written, but yeah... I'm tired and all, so...
Forgive meh!
Also, did anyone guess that it was quintaped? Please tell me someone guessed it. Please?
'Til the next time,
-Alza