Chapter twenty seven

Sherlock:

As darkness settled among the dorm, and people mumbled their sleepy 'good nights' heard the familiar tapping of an owl on a window. Not just any owl, though. The owl that had been then only cause of any nightmares I may have had the past three months. The owl of James.

Come and find him.
You have an hour
.
-James

One hour. I had a single hour, and if I failed, John would die, I presumed. I had to go, quickly.
Where they were wasn't the question it was obvious. Somewhere they could stay hidden, and not get in trouble. Somewhere dark, and thick, and far enough away so that students would hear no screams...
The forest was the only possible solution.
The issue was actually navigating my way through the forest and finding him.
I was stumbling, half blind through the school halls, I didn't care if I got caught. Detention would be nothing if it meant that I could save him.
I made it outside without too much trouble, and sprinted through the grounds to the forest. I didn't care if anything in the forest chased me around, because, frankly, I felt ready to take anything on.
"John!" I called hopelessly, coming to a stop somewhere deep into the forest. "John!" I repeated. I knew it was no use, but perhaps, if he heard me, he wouldn't think of me as such a bad friend.
I caught my breath, and began running again, but this time slower, to sense any sounds of movement from something human. Talking, the beat of two footsteps on dry leaves... Even a scream would be helpful, but I felt like a scream would just make me upset.
"John" I called again.
I heard some sort of chatter going on from somewhere to my left. I followed the sound until I came to a tree, thicker than most of the others. John was tied, barely awake, around that tree, his feet above the ground, and two people seemed to be discussing something. I assumed they were James and Sebastian.
I held my wand out, and was about to whisper a spell when I heard a shout of "petrificus totalus" and couldn't move.
"Sherlock Holmes. Good of you to turn up. See, John? He's alright really. He just turns up late!" He yelled the last word, and John whimpered slightly. I felt my wand being pulled out of my hand and I was dragged closer to the people.
"So, we meet at last" James exclaimed "I had hoped for a more... Formal occasion, but this works too."
"His wand" Sebastian presented it with a gruff voice.
"Excellent, Seb. Ah, unicorn tail hair, fourteen inches, slightly springy. Interesting" James inspected the wand.
"I was just telling Johnnyboy here about why he's here. How it's your fault that he's currently tied up there, and how it was your choice to let him die. What an excellent friend he made"
I wanted to explain what really happened, but my mouth was glued shut. I was trying to do wandless magic, but it wasn't working. Especially wandless, silent magic.
"Oh just give it up! Here's how this is going to work. You'll lie there, we'll kill poor old John here, then we'll give you back your wand and be on our way. You get to live. Isn't that enough?"
It should have been. It would've been. I'd grown up to my brother's influence. The whole "caring is not an advantage" attitude. I would still be like that, if I hadn't met John. I hated him, deep down, for making me completely break my entire basis of living, but living wasn't enough. I'd rather die than have him die.
Mycroft would be ashamed.