Chapter twenty three

Sherlock:

I looked down at John lying on my lap. He looked so peaceful in his sleep. It felt bad to look at him, knowing it could be the last time...
No, don't think of that. Not yet. You've still got a few hours.
But the thought kept creeping back into my mind, and it was all a bit overwhelming. I picked up the bit of parchment I was using before, and dipped my quill in ink.

John.
I know, when you wake up, you'll be confused, and disoriented. Even when you find this later in the day, and haven't seen me anywhere. Don't worry. I'll be fine, I'm always fine.
But, I feel like I owe you an apology, so here it comes.

I stopped there a second, not sure whether to tell about James. Perhaps not. He might still be in danger. I watched as a small drop of water fell onto the page and then wiped it away and continued.

I don't quite match up to best friend, even friend quality. I'm giving you the best chance you'll have. A chance to make friends with someone more suitable. Someone who's not a psychopath.
Donovan and Anderson were right. I never told you about my past did I?
When I was little, people called me a freak. They knew I was odd, and they teased me about it.
One time, after it was particularly bad, I was wishing death on all of them. I was annoyed, and little, and couldn't control anything. The news was that one of them - Carl Powers - had died in a swimming accident.
You should never have trusted me John.
More than that, I shouldn't have made myself trustworthy, but I did, and for that, I apologise.
So your chance is here. Get friends who deserve the title. Normal friends, and have a good life.
Everything I've said was a lie.
Goodbye, John
-SH

That letter seemed to work. It should mean that John wouldn't want to be associated with me, if he was anything like the others.
I quickly folded it, and slipped it into his pocket.
What I needed to do now was make sure he wasn't here when he woke up. The last thing he need is rumours spread.
And so I lifted him from the couch, and made my way to the Gryffindor tower.
--------------------
I swear it's not over. I wouldn't end it on that, because that would be cruel, and isn't a solution to anything.
Okay, I take back what I said before. That was the saddest thing I've written.
It's weird though, because I've written deaths, and torture and I've written scenes where someone has to hear about someone they live committing suicide, and yet for some reason this is the saddest the give written.
Anyway, enough of my emotions. You don't care. Enjoy the chapter.
'Til the next time,
-Alza