Chapter twenty four

Sherlock:

I sat down near the Gryffindor passageway for a while, devising an escape plan. I knew I'd have to use some of the passageways (after John told me about the Gregory the Smarmy one, I listened on on the conversations of his house mates more often), and then sneak across the village, hoping not to get noticed. That would be the most difficult part. Too soon, it seemed, it was 10:00 and I had to begin my journey.
I pulled myself onto my feet, and ordered myself to keep walking. I didn't look back.
"Mr. Holmes?" Someone asked, probably noticing me. I turned around, and saw the twinkling blue yes of none other than Albus Dumbledore.
"Uh... I can explain" I attempted. He laughed.
"I'm sure you can. How about we have a chat in my office, and we discuss your current predicament" he suggested.
"I really don't think that's necessary" I informed.
"Nonsense. Sometimes, people need to discuss what's happening" he explained "otherwise, chaos could start"
"No, but chaos would start if I went with you. I'm sure" I didn't care if he got angry at me. I wanted him to get angry at me. If I got expelled, it's an easy thing to tell the students. Maybe then I could escape.
"Mr Holmes - Sherlock" he corrected himself "I know why you're doing this"
"You don't know anything" I whispered, glaring at him. He didn't look annoyed at all. He just sighed.
"It's good of you to want to protect your friend, but I don't think you realise how well protected this school really is" he encouraged. I didn't understand how he knew I was protecting a friend, but I knew that a well protected school wouldn't be able to keep James away.
"Then explain to me why there's a great big quintaped running around in the Forbidden Forest" I snapped. He looked a bit surprised at this news, but only for a second.
"Look. I knew someone who aspired to be great, just like you" he began. I rolled my eyes and tried to zone out "talented, and smart, and altogether impressive. But he made decisions, and they turned out to be, all in all, bad decisions. Don't make those decisions"
"But I'm trying to make sure John doesn't die!" I exclaimed.
"And if you're worried about that, I can boost defences around the school"
"He'll still get in" I mumbled. I realised that this must be fear. Feeling small and weak compared to the rest of the world, and unable to make logical decisions.
Dumbledore was saying something, but I wasn't listening. If I didn't get out soon, I'd miss the window. It didn't matter what he said. I knew that, somehow, James would get into the school.
"But if you're completely certain, and wish to continue, despite what you've been told, I will accompany you" he finished. That was all I heard. I was still able to go, and it would be quicker than somehow sneaking out.
"Yes!" I shouted, completely unaware of it being rude "uh... Yes please" I repeated, slower.
"You know what you will be doing?" He asked.
"Yes" I replied.
"What is it James does?" He suddenly considered.
"He works among muggles. He has a team of people who settle unpaid depts, and help people get out of jobs or relationships they don't enjoy" I said, keeping a straight face.
Dumbledore held out his arm, and suddenly a wave of sentiment crashed over me. I knew he was preparing to apparate, and if I took that arm, I'd be in Hogsmeade, but I'd also never see John again, and if I did, he wouldn't trust me at all.
"Everything I said was a lie" I remembered writing that. Maybe he'd understand that clue, if he did, them perhaps one day he'd welcome me back into his life.
Who am I kidding. It's hopeless. The clue was too subtle.
"You don't have to do this" he repeated. I felt like, somehow, he was mind controlling me and making me think this was possible, but I was also aware that that wasn't possible.
Did that mean I really had all these emotions?
I looked at the arm and frowned. If Dumbledore was right, John would be safe, I wouldn't have to join James, and it would all be okay.
Maybe he was right.