Chapter nineteen

TWO MONTHS LATER

John:

Sherlock's been looking increasingly worried, yet when I ask him about it, he says it's nothing. It's not like Sherlock to be worried. Perhaps I'm mistaking worried for bored. I mean, nothing's happened since we almost got killed in the Forbidden Forest, so he could have been expecting something interesting...

I had a fight with James and Sirius last week, so I'm freaking out at the possibility they'll steal a horned slug and put an enlarging spell on it, before placing it under my duvet, but nothing's happened as of yet.

"John, uh, what did we have to do for Defence Against the Dark Arts homework again? I've completely forgotten" Greg asked me nervously.

"It's due tomorrow, Greg. Couldn't you have asked me sooner?" I laughed. It was nearly midnight, and the common room was empty apart from us. Still, I told him the homework and he quickly began scribbling down some notes. He was finished much too soon.

"How does this sound?" He passed his notes to me, and I nodded approvingly.

"They're alright, considering you did it in an hour" I commented.

"Wait, it's been an hour?" He realised "happy birthday!" He exclaimed. I hadn't realised that midnight had passed. He seemed excited to have remembered.

"Thanks. It's not that much of an occasion" I muttered, looking back at my own homework "is this the actual process it takes to make an antidote to common poisons? Or am I lying?"

Nevertheless, I was woken up by Sirius shouting "Happy birthday" (which was odd, considering I'd never told him my birthday) and then the dorm went into a chorus if happy birthday. It was surprising, but nice, I guess, that they'd bothered to organise it. My delight faded when I realised it was 5 am.

I slumped back into the common room and stayed there until it was time for breakfast, at which point Sherlock came to the door.

"Oh, happy birthday, John" he puffed, as if he'd run here "I got you this" and so I opened the small package he'd given me to find it full of lollies from Honeydukes. I smiled and hugged him before following him down to breakfast. I'd never been used to so many people at a birthday, considering it had pretty much always just been my mum, my sister and I, but apparently someone (I suspected Greg) had told the entire house that it was my birthday, all of whom sang a loud and lovely 'Happy Birthday' before the fuss died down. Slightly embarrassing, but nice all the same.

However, when I looked at Sherlock across the hall, his face was full of worry - no, not worry... Concern.

----------------------

Whoever gets that reference wins a cookie.

Sorry it was a filler chapter, but I wanted to put in a chapter that wasn't all dark and scary and sad, so I decided on this... The storyline will get back on track next chapter, but yeah.

For now, enjoy.

'Til the next time,

-Alza