Chapter six

Sherlock:

We were instructed to form a line, and we obeyed, following Professor McGonnagall into the hall. The entire group was looking nervous except for John and I, and the boys who's caused the disturbance before. In silence, the group entered the hall, until they started looking around. The candles that were lighting up the table were floating in mid-air (that made me uncomfortable), and the ceiling was showing the night sky above us. As far as the tables go, all the cutlery was silver, and decorated with different metals. The room looked magnificent, and it was remarkable to walk through, despite the attention from the other students, who's chatter had died down to a silence when we entered. At the front of the hall, there was a platform, and on that platform, there as a stool. The other first years looked at the school curiously, until Professor McGonnagall placed a hat on it. The hat was incredibly dirty, and looked like it had existed for hundreds of year. It probably had, come to think of it... I heard the whispers from the others around me.

'What do we do with a hat'

'Perhaps we do what magicians do. Pull a rabbit out of it'

I laughed at their confusion, and just watched the hat sitting there, along with everyone else. Then the hat moved slightly, and a rip opened up and the hat sang.

'I may not be a model

I don't try to be

But I dare you to find a hat

Who's better at this than me.

I may be old and dirty

I may be ripped and torn

But listen to me just this once

I've lived my life and sworn

To help the young witches and wizards

Who are coming to the school

And place them in their houses

Strictly from this stool.

I may out you in Ravenclaw,

Where you'll be quick to learn

Or maybe Hufflepuff,

Where things are always earned

Or maybe even Slytherin

If you're cunning and sly

Perhaps Gryffindor, though

If you'd defeat a bad guy.

So don't be scared,

Just try me on

Find out where you belong

Just sit down here

And then you'll see

And this concludes my song'

The hall cheered for the song, and it bowed to each of the tables in turn, and then became still again. The first years turned to each other once again to talk, probably about what house they'd be in. At that moment, I knew I'd be put on Ravenclaw. It seemed to be the only place that fit with me.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted" Professor McGonnagall looked down at her list of names.

"Anderson, Keith" [[A/N: WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO FOR A FIRST NAME]] she read aloud. Anderson walked up to the stool, looking pathetic as always, and had the hat lowered onto his head before it yelled 'HUFFLEPUFF'. A loud cheer erupted from the Hufflepuff table. The didn't realise just how little they'd end up wanting him in their house. I scowled at him as he joined the table, but he didn't notice. I hadn't been paying attention to the list, but I heard another loud yell of 'GRYFFINDOR' and looked up in time to see a small girl with brown hair scrambling to join the Gryffindor table. 'Black, Sirius' was placed in Gryffindor, resulting in an odd cheer from the group of boys who caused a distraction before to add to the cheer.

Sally Donovan was placed into Slytherin. I noticed Anderson's face look slightly disappointed as she joined her table. Eventually, 'Holmes, Sherlock' was called, and I walked up, suddenly nervous. I sat down on the stool and waited for the hat to be placed on my head.

"Hmm... I can see a strong loyalty here" a small voice remarked.

Seriously?

"Willing to do anything to save people you care about."

Not with Anderson or Donovan

"Little rivalry there? Not to worry. I know exactly where you'd go. RAVENCLAW" it shouted the last word for the entire hall to hear. I went to sit down with the Ravenclaws as a cheer erupted from there.

------------------

Hey guys. I hope you like this update! The sorting is actually really fun to write. As well as that, the song is completely made up by me (so if you want to use it for anything, ask me first).

Quick question: what house are you in?

Personally, I'm a Slytherin.

Please answer. Comments are more exciting than votes.

Anyway, 'til the next time,

-Alza