Chapter eight

Sherlock:

I watched John talk to Remus - I think his name was - from my seat at my own table. No-one had decided to talk to me, so I decided to start making deductions.

The boy John was sitting with - who's name I think was Remus- looked oddly pale, despite having just finished summer. I could tell he was reasonably polite, and seemed to be thankful someone was going to talk to him.

The other two boys at that table - who seemed to be loudly having an argument - both had dark hair and were clearly trying to be cool. The one with shorter hair kept glancing down the table at a red-headed girl, making sure she was watching, and fiddling with his hair. He clearly had a crush on the girl, and the other guy was laughing about it. He was also making rude jokes about it, from what I could hear.

I noticed the smaller boy, who was sitting with them talking to no-one, but laughing every time the two arguing boys said anything. He had wiry brown hair and looked very, very surprised to be their friend.

I looked around and saw traits of other people.

Has a girlfriend back at home who doesn't know where he is, gay, worried about a sick friend, two girls who'd just had an argument, dead dad, pregnant girl. I listed them in my head. After dinner, the plates were magically cleared, mine was still almost completely full, and Dumbledore stood again, this time to properly speak.

"I have a few term notices before we go to bed" he bellowed. The hall was instantly quiet.

"I would like you all to know that the forbidden forest is out of bounds for all students. Also, the caretaker has kindly asked that no magic is used in the corridors between classes, for those of you who keep... Forgetting." He laughed "quidditch trials will be held third week of term, unless specifically specified by the team captains." He finished the notices and conducted the school to the school song, to which the first years did not know the words, and sent us to bed. The prefects of Ravenclaw told the first years to follow him to the common-room, and we obeyed, making small talk along the way. By the end of the journey, I'd picked up a few things from eavesdropping on conversations. The girls in Ravenclaw first year were Ellie, Sophie, Allanah, India and Stephanie. Ellie had had to stop playing football in order to come here, India's mum was worried India was going to be a squib because she didn't start using magic until she was nine years old, and then almost had a heart attack when she fell in a pond at the park and the water disappeared from the pond, Allanah had three younger siblings, all of whom were muggles as of yet, and Sophie was droning on and on about this guy she's been going out with for a year who she has to leave behind now.

He would listen to the guys' conversations, but in all honesty, the girls were much more interesting.

The guys were just talking about their favourite sports teams, sports never really being Sherlock's area of interest. The door of the common room was dark brown, and had a knocker in the shape of an eagle. A prefect knocked once and the beak opened.

"What are the ingredients to an antidote to common poisons?" The eagle said.

"Interesting question... Uh" he looked at me, wanting a name.

"Sherlock" I muttered.

"Sherlock, do you know the answer?" He asked me.

"I think that one of them's a bezoar" I muttered "but that's all".

"Not to worry" he smiled "a bezoar, standard ingredient, unicorn horn and mistletoe berries"

"Excellent" the eagle said, and the door swung open. The common room was wide and circular, with arched windows and blue and bronze silk. It looked like the kind of thing you'd see in a fairly tale, as the tower the princess is terribly trapped in and waits for her prince. But this was the common room, and where I'd most likely be spending most of my time for the next seven years, so I had to get over it.