Chapter thirteen

John:

"Mr. Watson? Don't pretend you're still out. I know you're awake" I heard Madame Pomfrey's voice through the dim light shining through my eyelids. I blinked them open, startled by the sudden light. I realised that I was in the hospital wing, with a sharp pain on my chest.

"It's all healed. It might hurt a bit for today, but that'll ease soon. You can go when you're ready"

"What happened?" I asked, bemused.

"You're the only one who knows the full story, but I can tell you that at some point in exploring the Forbidden Forest, you ran into something large and hungry, and it attacked you and I guess you then passed out" she explained. I could remember. The big red thing with too many legs and a massive gaping mouth that was lunging at me. I shuddered at the memory of it, unnoticed by Madame Pomfrey.

"And how do you know this?" I inquired.

"Oh, you were talking in your sleep, m'dear. I imagine you were having nightmares. You seem alright now though. Come on. Breakfast is over soon. You might want to get up" she suggested, so I let her help me out of the bed and began to make my way up to Breakfast.

"Oh, and Professor," I turned suddenly "did Sherlock visit at all?"

"Last night, when you came in. I think he should still be at breakfast" she replied. I nodded, and exited the hospital wing, to make my way to breakfast.

"John!" Remus ran up to me "you weren't in the dormitory last night. I was wondering where you were"

"Hospital wing" I muttered sheepishly "I got attacked by something in the Forbidden Forest"

He laughed "I hardly expected you to be the kind to break rules"

"Blame Sherlock for that" I chuckled "he convinced me"

"Oh my god, John" he exclaimed "Are you seriously still going to be his friend, despite the fact he got you attacked?"

"He's also the reason I didn't die..." I defended "speaking of which, I'm going to go and talk to him"

"Apparently he's been acting weird though. Hardly returning anything. He was asked about what happened by multiple teachers, and responded really vaguely"

With that in mind, I turned to the Ravenclaw table. Sherlock was sitting in his usual position on the end, looking intently at his small serving of egg.

"Hey" I greeted, sitting beside him. He looked at me, but didn't reply.

"I'm better" I tried again. He continued to ignore me.

"Look, I don't know what you're playing at, but it is kind of your fault that I was in there, so it would be nice if you actually took the effort to talk to me or check if I'm okay" I argued. He pushed his egg forward, stood up and left, leaving me very confused.

I returned to my table, but not really wanting to talk to anyone.

"What was that about?" Sirius asked, placing his hand roughly on my shoulder.

"I don't know" I replied, a bit too aggressively. He looked at James, shrugged, and ignored me. That was probably good, considering Sirius wasn't exactly sympathetic.

I figured that Sherlock probably felt guilty, or upset at being caught. I'd talk to him about it after lessons. I didn't want him to be alone.

"Oh, by the way, your friend- you know the crazy one? Yeah. He left this on your bed really early this morning" James told me, handing me a small slip if paper. I flattened it out and looked down at the elegant script on the slip.

Forgive me

Nothing else was written on it.

Forgive him for what? For the whole Forbidden Forest affair? For not talking - no. He wasn't not talking to me until this morning... Well, if it was something he'd planned...

But why would he plan to not say anything to me the day after I was attacked helping him figure out something he wanted to do?

But my philosophising came to an end when Peter (who spoke rarely), reminded me that class started in five minutes, and I had to get my stuff.

----------------------

I'm just going to say don't get confused about the fact that there are two James'. It's a common name. There is a James in both stories. I'm just telling you so that you don't have a sudden realisation that's then shut down by the canon reason.

Anyway, right now John's POV is more difficult to write, because it's more 'what's happening' than 'I'm doing this to make this happen' so sorry if the John chapters are less interesting.

That's said, enjoy the chapter.

'Til the next time,

-Alza