New Beginnings

There is some hope for Niall after all.

Also, thank you so much for all of the follows, votes and comments! So close to 1000! Truly means a lot!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Niall wakes up to the sun shining directly in his eyes. "Billions of miles away and yet you still found me," he grumbles.

He sits up on the bed he was lying. He doesn't recall ever laying on a bed though. After Nick had brought him to his house yesterday at lunch time, the boy had refused to leave the living room couch. He still wasn't fond of the idea of this man that he still doesn't know completely babying him. Nick was understanding and brought the boy food that they ate together while watching TV. The two times Niall needed his nappy changed happened on the floor because Niall didn't want to use the changing table. He ended up going to sleep just after watching a rerun of Friends. Nick had offered to find something more "age appropriate", but Niall shut down that suggestion quickly.

Nick's house is a small cottage that was built for two people. Actually, it's the perfect size for Niall and him. There are two bedrooms, one being the master with an adjoined bathroom and the other being the one the boy is currently in. The only other rooms in the house are the living room, kitchen, and main bathroom. Despite it being a minimal house, there is a large backyard surrounded by a white picket fence.

The mattress he is on belongs to a twin bed and thinks of how odd it must have been for Nick to live all this time with a bedroom next door to his designed for a little. It's colorful in here, with rainbow curtains and a fluffy yellow rug. The room was for whoever needed babysitting overnight. Harry has stayed in this room a time or two. There is a wooden toy box in the corner and against the wall sn a changing table. All in all, it's a pretty impressive setup for something that is hardly used.

The boy looks down at what he's wearing to find he had been changed into a night shirt that was much too big on him and almost looked like a dress and some very tight purple shorts. He misses the comfort of waking up in a warm onesie and being able to curl his toes into the soft, fuzzy fleece. He also misses his monkey, but he knows that even if he ever did go back home to Daddy he will never see him again because he destroyed him.

"Hey, Bud! Glad to see you're up!"

Niall snaps his head to the direction of the voice. Nick leans on the frame of the open door.

"I was just coming to wake you. Breakfast is ready," the man tells him.

"Okay," Niall says quietly.

"Do you need to be changed?"

"No," the blond says. He wills himself from the comfortable bed and follows Nick to the kitchen.

"I hope you like waffles. I know some people either like pancakes or waffles and not both. But I figured you'd be okay with waffles..."

The boy nods. "I'm not picky."

Nick sighs in relief and gives the boy a smile. Niall sits down at the table and he wouldn't admit it out loud, but he's already impressed with the man. It's a rarity that he gets a good breakfast from Josh. Usually it's just a granola bar or cereal. And the smell of the hot waffles wafts into his nose and he hums.

Beside the plate is a metal fork and knife. Normally his food is precut and he uses a baby utensils. He picks the fork and knife up and holds them awkwardly in his hands. They feels so foreign and heavy. He tries to position them in his hands the way he believes is proper, but it still doesn't feel right to him. Giving up on the proper technique of holding cutlery, he awkwardly lowers them down to the plate and cuts through the waffle. The scraping against the glass plate hurts his ears and he frowns.